We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digicel Rental

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.
8 posts
Save Topic
Digicel Rental

Need some help on locating a cell phone rental. I have read on previous posts that some gift shops have digicel phones for rent. Does anyone please know if the Negril Treehouse Resort gift shop offers this, or closest to the Treehouse Resort? We are using Malcolm Brothers for transfer, do they offer phones? Your help is appreciated.

Edited: 21 February 2010, 05:27
Marysville, Ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digicel Rental

Digicel is literally everywhere. You can pick up a cheapie phone and put both international and local minutes. The process is simple. On the second story in the town center across from Burger King is like a Radio Shack and thats where we got our phone, minutes, etc.

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digicel Rental

I simply purchased an unlocked quad band GSM phone on ebay for 30us. We I got to JA i purchased an international SIM card for about 20us. It gave me approximately 1000 international minutes and 200 local. When I leave I simply give the card to the house keeper to us up rest of minutes.

Matt

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digicel Rental

just for clairification, digicel doesn't, to my knowledge, sell an international SIM (if you ask for such and get a difficult sales person you will end up with nothing but frustration lol)... you buy a Digicel SIM (like 400J (under 5US)) and add the international plan (1000 minutes for 1000J (about 12US) )...

i highly doubt you'd have 200 local minutes included in that for under 20 US... local minute costs are dependant on which subscriber you are calling and can be as high as 15J per minute which means 200 minutes would be well over 20US alone... doubt digicel is going to do that... you likely got 200J in credit remaining after you added the plan (which would be about right to total it to 20US...

not sure if anyone is selling that as an "international package" but i've not heard of it...

Chelle

Edited: 21 February 2010, 19:33
Eastern PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Digicel Rental

Recently experienced good help from the Digicel store next to the Burger King near town center. They seem to know what they're doing, and were very helpful. Digicel minutes can also be purchased at a variety of small stores along the beach and along the boulevard into town just five minutes or so from the Tree House. I don't think the gift shop at TH carries Digicel stuff.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Digicel Rental

Fractalpattern....I don't know of Treehouse or any gift shops that rent out cell phones. I do know a few drivers that offer free cell phone use with round trip transportation.

If you're are referring to the Malcom Brothers from Onestop....just send an email asking if they offer cell phone rentals with their drivers.

A few drivers that I know that offer this free option are...Kenny,Alfred and you can rent a cell phone from Clives and Tottt.

If you so choose to purchase a phone as has been suggested, the above info is great.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Digicel Rental

It may depend on your cell phone provider but I was able to get my personal cell phone unlocked. I then purchased an International Sims card on the Internet. I have done this twice. I purchased a Digicel Sim card last year for Anguilla and recently I got an International Card for my trip to Negril. The International One was more expensive per minute than the local one but I can use it in other locations. I think you can get a LIME sim card for Jamaica or the Digicel (they were out of this one when I tried).

The best thing was I ordered and received it before I left for my trip.

i used www.mrsimcard.com and

www.telestial.com (the international card)

As far as getting your cell phone unlocked, they tell you it can take 7 days but they sent me to code to unlock within 48 hours. My provider is TMobile and it may vary by provider but you might want to see if this an option. It stays unlocked and I will use the International Card the next time I travel.

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Digicel Rental

Chell00

You are correct I spoke incorrectly. You ADD the international minutes/plan.

Edited: 21 February 2010, 23:41
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Digicel Rental

fractalpattern,

Kirk does not provide free cell phones. He may provide a "Stripe" or two though.

9. Re: Digicel Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 06:18