We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westender Inn Now #2

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SoCal
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Westender Inn Now #2

I don't understand how Trip Advisors rates these hotels. The Westender Inn was nowhere in the top 20 hotels in Negril when I joined this site. Then a few months ago it was in the top 10 and now today it's #2. Just curious how the rating system on this site works. No big deal just curious.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

it works on people's reviews posted and what they rate the hotel as. So you can get 10 and 10 people think it's a 5 star...then it is. It's solely based on popularity and feedback. Nothing to do at all about world rating systems or amenities.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

....or convenience, or travel experience of the raters, etc... :) Though I'm sure it's a nice place, though the rooms looked average-nice when we toured it a few years ago.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

i walked down there one day and whoah, it looked like a bunch of republicans sitting around somewhere in arizona. just my opinion.. i don't want to start an argument or offend arizonians or republicans. it just didn't have the feel or the smell of jamaica....very clean looking, you know like in a commercial really clean like you can never get your house.....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

LOL sfjam!

Actually it is a nice place with nice amenities. If you haven't been there recently, you should check it out sometime. They upgraded recently.

If you are looking for solitude, it's the place to be. If you are looking for people watching and activities, you won't like it.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

sfjam-I can't even imagine what you walked into there! I know the owner and folks who are frequent guests and full time residents and they are the exact opposite of what you are describing!

The Westender is a cool place...its pretty remote and out there, I'd suggest having a vehicle of some sort. They just finished building some rooms/cottages on their seaside too.

I was at their 25th anniversary party (well, actually - not as specifically the Westender but as a property - it was once called Hogg Heaven). What a great party! We were invited as VIPs and the food was amazing - as was the free booze! They had dancers, a jazz band and then a DJ spinning old school reggae - it seemed the entire town of Negril was there. Very friendly and loving vibe.

Who cares how its rated on TripAdvisor? Its a nice place and worth checking out to stay there if you don't mind being that "far out" on the west end.

SoCal
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

Rastagirl - If you read the post I didn't say I cared how it was rated. I could care less if it was rated #1 or #51. I was simply asking how this site rates the resorts, that's all :-)

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

no doubt about it i thought the place was stunning looking, really not my style but i was shook to the flip-flops. i was just taking my usual morning walk and whatthehellisthisplaceoutinthemiddleofnowhere.....so i had a look see and i swear, i felt like i really was in arizona. i mean the people who worked there could not have been nicer, but i was waiting for sarah palin to walk up and say "have you seen todd and what is that funny stuff i smell?" just the wrong crowd on that one particular day. of course since i respect your very learned opinion i will check it out again on my next walk that way. great wood carvings.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

oh crap, i just realized you said it was hog heaven, i thought that might have been it..yeah that was on my walking tour too...i was always facinated by the name. it just seemed like an odd name for negril..."oh hey steve, where are you goin' on vacation? to hog heaven, merle." actually that sounds much more sarah palin -- maybe her spirit is there.....hey and i don't want to start and argument about the people who went to hog heaven and owned or who really, really, really like the name. i am trying hard to be pc here and in case you did not notice i did take the photo of the cliff down from my site and always refer to them in a proper manner. i hope everyone is happy with the new me so no more threatening emails. and you know who you are.....

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

LOL,

I thought the old Hog Heaven name was a hoot. I pictured a haven for Hell's Angels. The last time I rode a bicycle that far out it was still called that and at the time it was totally deserted. No biker gangs. No snorting hogs. Nothing. Very disappointing. I plan to check it out again just to see what all the fuss is about.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westender Inn Now #2

I believe that the original owners were Mr. Hogg's son(s)...it is built on Mr. Hogg's land - thus the name. Could be wrong but that's what I've heard. That's some walk from Citronella, good for you!