We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hookworm

Bedford, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Hookworm

Any from the UK had a prescription for this?

Negril
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hookworm

Yupp!!!

Took my dog to the vets and he's fine now!!!!

RESPECT & Woof!!! from Archie (Dog)

XXX

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hookworm

Dont bring your dog to Negril,they got lots of dogs there already you can adopt for a week.

jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hookworm

Are you talking about when they invade the bottom of your foot from walking in the sand barefoot?

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hookworm

Yes, i have just come back from Negril and have it in my toes - I have had a course of Mebendzole but cannot get rid of the nasty looking worm like thing on my toes! does anyone know how long this takes to go?

Brampton
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hookworm

Try this.

Wormseed (Chenopodium ambrosioides) is a traditional herbal remedy in the tropics for expelling roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. Look for it online, or try a herbal store.

Also, not sure if this works for hookworms, but pop a few cloves of garlic. Helps to kill parasites internally. *shrugs*

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hookworm

Wow " fungus toe talkin" does this mean your tap dancing career is kaput?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hookworm

it is probobly dead, but takes a while to disolve. This is what happened with our daughter, but the doctor explained that to us.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hookworm

Is this common?? Is the problem only in Negril or Montego Bay as well? I've travelled to many countries and have never heard of this. It's my first time to Jamaica, and this sounds a bit scary to me :-(

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hookworm

no it's not common, but it is possible, as there are stray dogs & cats.

to avoid it, keep your sandals or flip flops on when you're in areas that have stray animals, and especially around restaurants & bars located right on the beach. Since the sand there is always in the shade, it's possible for yucky parasitic critters to proliferate in those cool shady places, where the strays sometimes 'do their business'.

in places where the sun is hot and bright, it's less likely that parasites can grow - so i do walk barefoot out on the part of the beach where the sand is continually under direct sun, but i put my flipflops on when going up to the bar, or walking in shaded areas. i've never had anything get into my feet so far -

jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hookworm

Mintizol, applied topically! Available in Jamaica....don't know about abroad. For those of you making jokes, if it was you that had it, you wouldn't be laughing!!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 07 August 2010, 05:08