We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

Chicago
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

For you people on here who have been to Jamaica dozens of times or live there and know the people better than I. Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

I understand that even for those of us who are budget travelers us being able to take time off work and travel is a huge luxury and I iamgine what we spend on vacation could be what they earn in months if not a year but do they really think we are rich?

I dont make a whole lot of money, I save all year and maybe take one vacation if I'm lucky so I'm far from rich but try to be a generous tipper and spend money to support the people.

On my last trip I had 500J left on our last day. The security guards are always friendly and do a good job of keeping people from bothering you if you dont want to be bothered and I'm sure they rarely get tipped even though they work hard just like maids, waiters, etc. Anyhow, I went and told him we were going home, thanked him and told. He asked me how much a laptop cost and I told him a few hundred bucks. He then asked me if I would bring him one for his son next time he came down. I don't even own a laptop myself.

Just wondering what their Jamaicans think of us, do they consider us all rich like I consider a athlete or movie star rich. Maybe a stupid quetion but I was just curious.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

Live in their shoes for a month and see if you understand where they are coming from... think you would answer your own question.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

I do think that they do have the perception that most Americans are rich. But that is because most of the Americans, actually most tourist for that matter, are coming on vacation to a foreign country. While they may not ever been to the other side of their island.

We stay for a week in a resort. We have nice clothing, we go shopping, we tip for everything etc.... So I do think the perception is there.

And at the same time compared to a lot of Jamaicans we are rich, yourself included. The reality is that you could afford a laptop but have chosen to spend your disposable income on a trip to Jamaica. You maynot own a laptop, but for the cost of your airline ticket you could have one.

Edited: 20 August 2010, 20:55
Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

Even if you stay at a budget resort, you spend more in a day that they make in a week. Wages used to be about $40.00 a week. I'm sure that they've gone up since I heard that figure, but nowhere near what we'd consider a livable wage.

It's no wonder they can ask for the most unbelievable "gifts" and do it with a straight face.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

and for the record I think that the $500J is about $5.00US

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

Yes, we have a lot more money than most Jamaicans we meet working in and around resorts.

However, there are many Jamaicans who are middle class or wealthy....they just don't work as hotel maids or security guards or try to sell you ganja on the beach. Just wanted to point out that Jamaica's average salary/GDP/etc is indeed less than ours but one cannot make a blanket statement about all Jamaicans thinking tourists are rich or not. I know Jamaicans who have a lot more money than I do.

That said, compared to a minimum wage hotel worker or a day laborer or small shopkeeper, yes, we are rich.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

But Liz,

The average tourist only meets Jamaicans in the service industries or higglers on the beach.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

I know many Jamaicans that you would certainly consider wealthy. I just depends on your circle of friends.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

By Jamaican standards we are rich.

The budget travellers, the ones of us that save up for years to be able to afford our next trip to a Jamaican we all seem to be extremely wealthy when the truth is we save hard sometimes scrimping and saving for our trips

The head barman at the hotel we stay in worked from 5pm til around 2am 6 days a week for around £17 .......what we earn in comparision would make us seem rich

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

Liz, you are right. As in all countries there are lower middle and upper classes. There are people with and without money. However I think that there are far more Jamaicans without then there are with.

I think that when you take into context the op's point of view or experience then their blanket statement was correct.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do Jamaicans really think we are all rich?

<<By Jamaican standards we are rich. >>

I'm sorry but I think that that comment is way off the mark, but most tourists see very little of Jamaica so I understand someone believing it.

Jamaica is very much a two tier society - the haves and the have not.

Visits to several parts of Ja would have many a visitor drooling on seeing some of the homes of those that have wealth. Mandeville in particular has numerous wealthy areas, and few poor ones, but most towns have wealthy areas. Tourists don't usually see them, although there are many substantial wealthy homes around Ocho Rios and Montego Bay.

Compared to a low paid Jamaican in the tourist industry, a visitor with a modest income is comparatively wealthy, and so is seen as someone that could give assistance or expensive gifts