We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are traveling to JA next week leaving on Sept 16. I'm worried about what the weather is going to be like. I've looked at weather.com which says 80's and scattered or isolated T-storms, and Storm carib gives daily information which doesnt really help me out for next week.

I just want to know if anyone has traveled there during September and if so, how was the weather? Raining all day, some of the day, would never go in Sept????etc..

Please help!!!!! I'm kinda freaking out about it and ready to cancel the trip!

california
Level Contributor
404 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

don't cancel!!!! i'm going on the 21st...and sure, you may get your normal afternoon rain for an hour or so, but WHO CARES?!? it's where you ARE that's important. i don't know how long you are going for, but i highly doubt you will have an ENTIRE week of constant rain...and from what i've seen on the wunderground website, it doesn't look like there is any hurricane threat for the week we will be there. have a dirty banana, or a red stripe and have a GREAT time!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

Every weather report I have ever seen for Jamaica shows a 30-60% chance of rain every single day along the coasts. We had the same weather report when we went in mid-August and we got about 4 hours of total showers for the entire 8 day stay. Most of it was between 12:00N and 1:00 p.m. when we were having lunch anyway. Your trip may have a little more or less rain than that but a large majority of the time will be sunny as long as the Tropical Depressions/Storms/Hurricanes stay away from the island. It looks like you will be safe so don't cancel. Just go and have a good time.

SKELMERSDALE
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

Hi there like you last year we were well worried about the weather more so because Im in a wheelchair But I had great fun it rained in the afternoon and everyone went in2 a blind panic because my wife left me sat outside in the rain lol BUT IT WAS GREAT it cooled me down between the beach and CHILAXE time so dont let it worry you just grab a drink and run it will soon pass and you can hit the pool WERE STAYING LEGENDS 19TH SEPTanyone near there?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

this is the only place i'd check for weather conditions! http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/ and all i'd worry about is if a tropical storm was coming! as Aug and Sept are generally the busiest hurricane months of the season. that being said, every weather report you will see for the island will say rain or thunder storms everyday.. you are in the tropics it is rare for a report to say sunny!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

We went to Negril last September and YES it did rain...not every day but the days it did it was mainly in the afternoons for a short time except on the day my friend was getting married....it started early afternoon and carried on till about 6:00pm...her wedding which was meant to be on the beach had to be rearranged and took place in the hotel instead...so unless your getting married there I wouldn't worry too much...

United States
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

First off, do NOT freak out and do not cancel the trip. You might also want to check the forcast on cnn.com, yahoo.com, or one of the other weather sites on the web. Keep in mind that Sept. is rainy season in Jamaica. Rain is probable almost every day. It normally rains in the afternoon or early evening between 3PM and 7PM for an hour or so. Plan to do outdoor things in the morning and enjoy your trip.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

jamaica is the 3rd largest Caribbean island, but most weather services report only kingston or mobay... weather conditions in negril can differ dramatically from those in mobay, kingston, port antonio, south coast, ochi, etc.

in that sense, online weather reports will not be nearly as accurate as back home where you can usually rely upon the accuracy of the report for your specific town.

negril's location and geography typically provides for the possibility of regular daily showers in the late afternoon and evening. this possibility will be stronger at certain times of the year and less others. but it is not unusual to have clouds moving from the highlands out to sea around sunset, which helps create those great views at dusk.

Sept is one of historically more active months for hurricane and TS activity and even stormy weather in miami can have some impact on the seas and weather in jamaica... but these are cyclical and unpredictable events, some years there are none even.

i would not personally consider canceling a trip to negril based upon an online weather forecast.

Penna
Level Contributor
384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

going next week also.... this will be our 4-5th Sept there... always been lucky over-all... hoping for the same...

dont cancel!!!! let's just all say a prayer!

:)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

i went to negril from 9/3/10 thru 9/7/10, the weather was great, i too was worried about the forecast but it rained for 2 hrs on friday, in the afternoon, cleared up and had a beautiful sunset that day, thunder showers on sat for abt 1 hr, bright sun for the rest of day, no rain on sunday and monday, and i left yesterday in bright sunshine, u will be ok, the 7 mile beach is calm, and so very clear, and everything is irie, i MISS NEGRIL

Pomona, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone traveled in Sept???? Weather experience please!!

We will also be leaving on the 14th!! Don't let a weather forecast ruin your trip...you never know until you get there.