We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
148 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

Where can you rent a bicycle on the West End Road (close to Xtabi if possible) ?

Where can you rent a bicycle on Norman Manley Blvd. (close to Beaches Sandy Bay if possible) ?

Generally what are the rates for rental ?

Thanks in advance.

Georgie.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

There are several rental places in both areas. Banmark is about a 15 min walk from Xtabi. Keep your eyes open and ask around if need be and you'll probably find a closer place. Rates are generally about $15/day.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

I rent from Tikes Bikes across from Catcha and Tensing Pen. Email at tonyvassell@yahoo.com. You can probably work a deal. Most of the bike rentals in Negril are "island bikes" so check the brakes and the tires before you take off on one. There are no ambulances in Negril and the the nearest hospital is in MoBay or Sav so be careful.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

I do not understand if you want a BICYCLE or a motor CYCLE? If it is the first, then OK! But please remember that you really need to be really good at driving a thing with a motor! If something happens, you are really out of luck! There is really NO medical help---PERIOD.

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

Wow that's scary !! no Medical ...and closest hospital is Mo-Bay !! I would think twice about a motor cycle , and I never gave it any thought of riding a bike or renting it to get around a little bit , until reading this post , but Rack thanks for the info about Medical ..sfjam, you mentioned most of the bike s are island bikes, are island bikes much different from regular ones at home ??

United States
Level Contributor
11,264 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

You should always bike with care wherever you are. There are several doctors in Negril for minor problems. In addition there is a hospital in Sav and one in Lucea in addition to the one in Mo Bay. Also see the following news story about ambulance service in Negril:

jamaicaobserver.com/westernnews/TEF-funds-am…

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
148 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

Thanks for the help.

If I do end up peddling up and down the West End Road

I'll try to keep safe.

Georgie.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

Georgie- Have you been to Negril before? It not, wait until you see the West End Road. You might want to rethink the bike rental (just my humble opinion). Walking was scary enough! -suze

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

IMHO, it's fine to bicycle around the west end, and along the beach. We've done it dozens of times. Yes, you do need to keep alert - just as you would on any busy road.

Banmark is closer to Xtabi than Tykes.... by maybe 1/3 mile.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

Just to make myself clear. I have nothing against bikes. I have rented bike more than a dozen times and had a lot of fun. The most important part is to keep "beeping" the horn all the way up the West End Road. But, how safe is all of this????

Last time we rented a "bike" I really almost got killed. We returned from the cliffs, after a normal tropical shower to White Sands. Since it was dark, I really slowed down to see the turn into WS. Thank God. I was only going something like 5 MPH. Was in the middle of the road, but with the rain, did NOT see the big hole in the street, which of course I hit. Thank You!!! Bike went down, my GF fell off, I lost a lot of skin on my leg and arm, etc. If I was going 10 MPH, I would be DEAD. The only "medical" help I got was to go into the water and stay as long as I could stand so that the salt would keep things clean!!! I did that for three days and came home with the bigggggest scabs ever.

Not end of story. On my return to WS a few months later, the guy at the bar told me that two weeks later, a girl from (of all places Chicago) hit the same hole and DIED! After that, the "govt" of Negril finally filled in the hole with some cement. Thank You!!!

Just a friendly note regarding bikes!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions regarding Bicycle rentals....

Good comment Rack. Good to scope out the area in the day for sure.... and even then err on the side of caution. The roads can indeed be rough and there are always a few questionable drivers.