We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Charges ?

north east england
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Credit Card Charges ?

Hi all,

Going to Negril to get married in November

My partner went to travel agents to get dollars for tips etc.

She asked the travel agent about using a credit card for the spa, boat trips and whatever, and the travel agent said 'don't use a credit card in Jamaica'

she said you get charged a percentage to use them 3 times.

Once when you buy, once by your credit card and a cross over charge !!!

Iv'e never been charged before using my card whilst abroad.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Cheers

Zeb

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

Almost every credit card charges a fee for international transactions now. The ones that don't are often elite cards with high annual fees (like my Amex card) or can only be had by invitation.

As for the other stuff, I don't really understand.

Charging fees to use a credit card (or minimum transaction amounts) is not allowed per the merchant agreement (but some people still do it anyways - even though they could lose their right to accept credit cards by doing so)...but I don't recall seeing fees expressly added in this fashion in Jamaica.

Where a store COULD get you on the front end is by giving you a bogus exchange rate - but that isn't a credit card issue. It is a dumb tourist issue.

I intentionally use my credit card(s) very little in Jamaica - but it isn't really because of being worried about fees. It is because being worried about fraud. If I do use it, it has to be a reputable establishment.

United States
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

See the following two travel guides for information about money in Jamaica:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamai…

Credit and debit cards can both be used in Jamaica and will be accepted by all resort hotels on the island.

As you will be converting Jamaican dollars into another currency there will be a fee for that service. That fee will normally be built into the exchange rate used in the conversion. Contact your bank to see what that fee will be. Also keep in mind that the conversion may or may not be done on the day you make the purchase but a day or two later (that may slightly change the exchange rate).

Second, many banks charge a fee, a percentage of the transaction amount, if the transaction is done in a foreign country (even if there is no currency conversion). Again, contact your bank to see they make this charge (some card issuers do and some do not make this charge).

Third, if you use a cash machine (called an ATM in Jamaica) there may also be a charge to use the machine by the Jamaican owner of the machine. Resort hotels in Jamaica will not make this type of charge if you use the card directly with the hotel (and do not use a cash machine) to pay for spa treatments, trips, etc. at the resort.

north east england
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

Thanks for that guys

Much appreciated

Zeb

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

Zeb,

yes most CC do this, I had it on my Citibank and got a Capital One just before our last trip as they are one of the companies that DO NOT charge the 3%. Using a CC is safer in my opinion than $ as it is insured and you can fight the fraud if you encounter any of it.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,013 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

I have a Capital One card and it's the only one I use there - no fees for international purchases at all.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

I love what I'm hearing about Capital One:) I have one that I use as my 'INCASE OF EMERGENCIES' card. Was thinking about closing it, but I suppose that it's a good thing I have it. I will take a small amount of cash with me and use my Capital One instead.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

"Was thinking about closing it, but I suppose that it's a good thing I have it"

Are you aware that your credit rating takes a dip if you close a source of credit?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

yes especially if it is your longest standing credit card. I wouldn't close it maybe just lower the limit

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

Yes, I know about closing out cards causes your score to drop.... worked for AmEx and Discover. I'm not worried about that as I have excellent credit that most people that I come across that deal with loans are surprised by. The credit limit isn't that high on it anyhow, they won't lower it any more.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Card Charges ?

Shred all the CC's. Cash only is the way to go.

To each their own though.