We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

Can anybody help me pls?

Due to travel to Jamaica soon & wanted to know if my phone will work in Jamaica?

It is Triband but not sure if it should be quad band???

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

Short answer is yes.

Detailed answer is (1) It has to be unlocked from your present provider.

(2) Since I don't know which band it's missing, (to be a quad band phone) the only thing I can suggest is to check your existing bands against the operating bands of Digicel and Claro. One of them will work.

lIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

Thanks 4 swift reply!

We had it unlocked and its missing the 850 band (got 900, 1800 & 1900) so think it should work then.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

Even dual band works in JA with a JA sim card.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

You'll need a Digicel card, as that's their frequency. Claro operates on 850.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,483 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

There are 6 bands allocated to cell phone service providers: 800(analog and CDMA), 850(GSM) 900(GSM), 1800(GSM), 1900(TDMA,CDMA, GSM, IDEN) AND 2100(3G). But to return to the question, LIME (the rebranded Cable and Wireless) uses GSM at 1900MHz; Digicel operates on 900, 1800, 1900Mhz. Both LIME and Digicel are GMS providers. There is a third cell phone provider (Claro) but they have nearly no market share even though they are the only CDMA provider and are rolling out a GSM-based 3G network hoping to build some presence.

You can use your 'home' phone which means no change in your known phone number and no need to have an unlocked phone. But it is expensive as you will be using international roaming and the charges are generally some where between $1.49 and $1.99 per minute.

You can get a Digicel SIM card, but that means, of course, you will get a new phone number and an unlocked phone. Some of the Digicel SIM plans are very economically attractive. For example, some come with 1000 overseas minutes and 'free' (for you) incoming calls. Generally, the charge for outgoing calls using your 'home' phone is between about US$1.50 to $2.00 a minute.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
583 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

My experience is that the Tri-band will work, but not everywhere. As you roll, you will go thru some areas of deadness. When i had my quad, I experienced a lack of dead zones!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

Good info...

I always thought you needed a quadband.....

In fact i don't buy a phone unless it is quad band purely for this reason....

Thanks...

:-)

xxx

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

I only use a dual band in Ja, with digicel and I get very few dead zones.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

"There is a third cell phone provider (Claro) but they have nearly no market share even though they are the only CDMA provider and are rolling out a GSM-based 3G network hoping to build some presence."

Only Partially true.

Last visit I used a Claro Sim Card, when Digicel store couldn't get my phone connected. It was a quad band phone.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 17:13
Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I use a Triband phone in Jamaica?

If you are coming from the UK, any phone will work with a Digicel SIM. Digicel is by far the biggest service provider in Ja. As already posted, you cannot use Claro as you're missing the 850 band. Digicel is the best option if you intend to spend a substantial amount of time phoning the UK. Claro scores over Digicel if only making calls of up to 5 minutes to 1 landline in UK. They would be free if you nominate the number. Check the Claro site if interested.

I'm told that you can still pick up a tough basic Nokia for £5, plus £10 credit. You could carry one just for a Digicel SIM and keep your regular phone as it is in case anyone calls or texts that number. The cheap Nokia would be a welcome gift for someone when you leave. Same phone would cost about £25 in Jamaica - and that is a lot of money to many Jamaicans.