We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about CSW

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about CSW

Hello, we are considering a trip to CSW in the spring of 2011. We are also considering the IB Grand in Mexico and the IB Grand in Punta Cana. We are veteran Mexico travelers but we have only been to Jamaica once - 2006 to the Riu Ocho Rios when Cancun/MR wast out of service due to hurricane Wilma. We were not too impressed with the property but we understand that the quality of a Riu is not indicative of the quality of Jamaican resorts in general. We don't go to Rius in Mexico either. We would really like to give Jamaica another chance.

Anyway, I was considering a beachfront Veranda Suite at CSW and I have several questions.

*I have not been able to find a lot of pictures of the bathrooms. What does the shower look like?

*Do all of these rooms have direct ocean views?

*Do the shutters block out the light well?

*Is there drink and food service on the beach or at the pool?

*What is the dress code for men at night?

*Do they have a selection of wine available through out the property or is it limited to 1 white and 1 red. My wife drinks wine all day while in the sun and most resorts in Mexico have a limited, terrible wine selection. This is the main reason we are looking at the IB grand properties (10-20 wines available with the ai). We drink cheap wine at home - 3 Buck Chuck type stuff would be fine but the stuff they serve in Mexico is just awful.

*What is the beer selection? Is it just Red Stripe and Miller light?

Anything else we should know? Can anyone compare CSW to the Royal in PDC, Royal in Cancun, ERC or the Royal Hideaway in Playacar? Of course, we already know the beach is phenomenal at CSW.

We really just like to get up late, sit around the pool/beach all day, hand at the swim up bar and eat/drink. We take a nap in the afternoon and sit around and eat/drink until we go to bed. Activities are not an issue for us. Booze, food and comfort are the main priorities. We also want shade and we don't want to fight for chairs.

Thanks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about CSW

Just for clarification , do you mean Couples Swept Away ( CSA ). If so, you may want to send a personal message to caviargal, who is a destination expert for Mexico and Jamaica. She has probably stayed at every resort you mentioned , and may be able to compare resorts better.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about CSW

Just to answer a few of your questions -

Yes the veranda suites have ocean views. Although some may have some palm trees in front of them.

There is drink service on the beach and around the pool, no food service.

Unless you are going to Feathers for dinner, men can wear shorts and a nice tee shirt in the evening.

Couples offers a red and a white that is included in your price. They also have other bottles of wine that you can purchase if you do not like the red or white. I am not a wine drinker during the day and to be honest a little picky at what I drink, so I can not tell you if they are good, bad or indifferent. My husband has had the red and said that it is not bad.

They Red Stripe, Red Stripe Light, Miller Light and I beleive Caribe.

If you like to get up late, eat great food, lay around on the beach or at the pool, take a nap, hang at the swim up bar go back to your room and start all over again eating and drinking for the evening, than honestly any of the Couples properties would be perfect for that. We are big fans of Couples Negril on Bloody Bay, but if you are looking for direct ocean views than Couples Swept Away is your best choice.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about CSW

The photos provided in this link will help.

negrilonestop.com/couplessweptaway_photos.sh…

Shutters are operational and block out the light very well.

This link may help as well.

negrilonestop.com/couplessweptaway_amenities…

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about CSW

Hi duckbilled;

CSA is a wonderful resort. The service and dining are second to none.

From your questions, I am concerned that the rooms will not measure up to what you are used to however. CSA is sooo different from a Mexican resort. There is no marble, no crystal chandeliers, no 24 hour room service. CSA is more rustic, chic in my opinion. I looked at the places you have posted reviews for and the pics for each. CSA offers rooms with a villa feel. They are very very clean and well appointed but not plush. There is no "hotel like feel" at CSA and you won't have foot traffic outside your room like in a highrise. If you love good food, great service and the best beach on the island then CSA would work well for you. If you are willing to trade the marble and crystal for a quiet villa with a verandah overlooking the sea then CSA is it. If a room with bling is necessary then I would suggest looking at Sandals Negril and choosing a swim up suite with Butler if the budget allows.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about CSW

Yes, CSA, duh. Got to get my Jamaican acronyms straight.

Thanks for the info. We really don't need the marble, chandeliers and other ostentatious crap. Resorts with a lot of amenities just seem to come with that stuff. I don't know why it is that way but someone needs to explain to these resorts - if you have to tell people you are classy, you are not classy. The long pants in the restaurants at night drives me batty - its 90 degrees out side and they want my to wear pants? So yes, I may be looking for something a little different. I honestly think the only thing that could be an issue would be the small wine selection. Maybe the lack of 24 hour room service

As far as Sandals is concerned, I have heard a lot of people say that the places we have been are a lot better than a Sandals. In addition, They are very overpriced. You can tell something is up when they have 47 different room categories.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about CSW

I agree on Sandals being way overpriced. If bling is not important to you but clean is, then Couples is the way to go. They don't blow the profits on presentation. We love how laid back their resorts are and how friendly the other vacationers are. Read through some of the reviews if you haven't already done so. They should give you a good picture of what is so outstanding about CSA. If you have any questions just ask.

marnie

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
127 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about CSW

We've stayed at Couples Swept Away four times in a beachfront verandah suite room. We've also been to Cancun and Punta Cana, but not to the resorts that you mention.

I don't have photos of the BFVS bathroom. It is a decent size; the shower is in the bathtub. There is a window in the bathroom which is nice for fresh air. The bathroom is very, very basic, almost too basic. I'm not looking for marble, either, but it would be awfully nice if they would upgrade the bathrooms a bit. But they are spotlessly clean. And obviously, this hasn't stopped us from returning to CSA.

You will only have shutters on your wall if you have an outside BFVS room. And yes, they do a good job of shutting out the light. If you have an inside room, you will not have the exterior wall with windows, only the French doors leading onto the huge verandah. The view is fantastic since you are right on the beach. There may be a palm tree or two in your sightline, but you will absolutely be able to see the beach and water.

You can get food at SeaGrapes wrapped up to take with you to the pool or beach. The green flag service on the beach is great - stick a flag in the sand, and someone comes to take your drink order. There are 2 beach bars, and then also the swimup bar on one end, and the Palms bar at another. You will never, ever have to walk far for a drink.

Feathers does require slacks, collared shirt, and closed toe shoes for men. I think it's nice that they give people the option to dress up and enforce the dress code at one restaurant. Personally, I dress up every day for work, so it doesn't matter to me, but I can see why they do it. Feathers is air conditioned, so you will not be hot in slacks. Other than that, dress shorts are fine for men at all of the other restaurants.

They stock a lot of white and red Chilean table wine. It is drinkable. Feathers and Lemongrass have more of a selection (e.g., merlot, a cab). I always say that we don't go to CSA for the wine selection. We love wine, too.

Besides what has been mentioned, they also serve Guiness at the Sports Complex bar and at the Martini bar. I've also seen Heineken.

They have plenty of loungers with the floatie mats. There are usually plenty of chairs. On a few trips, we've had to walk a bit to find two chairs if we didn't get to the beach early enough. It can be an issue, but I've heard they've bought a lot more chairs since January of this year (our last trip).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about CSW

I hear ya quacking Duckbill,I agree. Atrium room at the CSA is great(no T/V but I heard ya can make your own films in the bedroom)????

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about CSW

I have been to ERC and will be going to CSA for the second time this Feb. As previous posters have suggested, the vibe and surroundings at CSA are more rustic and tropical than ERC. The room is simpler, but the bed is much more comfortable. The pace and service are slower. But still friendly. Also, unlike ERC, tips are not even allowed. Another resort you may want to consider is Secrets Maroma Beach. Have been there twice and think it's just about perfect. The wines at all 3 of the resorts I've mentioned are ok/drinkable, and all very much the same (mainly Chilean). I find I like the sparkling wine the best.

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
857 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about CSW

I concur about Secrets Maroma beach. We adore CSA and Jamaica, and will continue to return. By Secrets was themost amazing resort we've stayed at.