We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

I just came back from a weeks stay at the Riu in negril. By far the worst vacation ever!!!!! The food was horrible, drinks substandard and customer service what customer service? Expecting that most people travle to experience the local foods I was disgusted to find that the only local food on the menu was calaloo, boiled bananas and bangamary fish battered and doused in Ketchup. Imagaine this only being offered every morning, lunch and dinner time? The national dish is ackee and saltfish, this was not offered not even once in my 7 days stay. Ackee may not be in season, but the canned version would suffice. No Red Stripe beer, Ting as a matter of fact anything natively Jamaican was not on the menu. Many locals visited during my stay as it was a national holiday, they were disgusted by the selection of food as well. In addition the poor staff are overworked grossly underpaid as the new Riu management have re-introduced slavery back into Jamaica. Couldn't wait to get home to nurse my sandfly wounds and stop at the local West indian resteraunt for Jamaican food .

Best to book a room and eat real Jamaican food locally . If you crave NA food Burger King, KFC as well as many places offer American and European menu items

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

Research is your friend.

Sorry for your disappointing vacation.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

According to your other post you found Negril to be totally boring, expensive and the worst place you have visited????

Guess all around you are unhappy with your vacation...

Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for maybe next time you'll find your happy place.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

I read your other post too and am confused when you said "I travelled as a tourist as opposed to a local this trip."

So are you a local?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

Maybe Jamaican/Canadian? That would explain the food someone would hope for.........

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

Ackee is still in season right now so luckily, should it have been served, it wouldn't have had to have been the canned mushy version. Please tell me you went off property to eat some wonderful authentic Jamaican food ! ?

New Prague...
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

Must have been a bad time of the year to go, my sister and a group of 4 loved it, but it was Feb.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

Personally, I'm surprised anyone would think they would get any sort of authentic food at an all inclusive. The food is produced for the masses.....

prince albert
Level Contributor
439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

I agree. We stayed ay the Grand palladium on the Mayan Riviera once and it was the same thing - mostly American food.

But then we found some great authentic mexican in both Playa del Carmin and especially Tulum.

If you want genuine local food don't stay at an all inclusive.

As for the sand flies, its the Caribbean on the beach, what were you expecting?? I don't let them bother me, although I don't get bit much anyways.

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

"Best to book a room and eat real Jamaican food locally "

well, um, YAH, no DUH. u think this is a surprising revelation?

SMDH. what does one expect from a "chain" A/I hotel? especially a lower-end one like the RIU?

i agree, research - as well as locally owned & operated hotels - are your friends....

i wouldn't even stay at an A/I if THEY paid ME -

unless i won a trip at one of the super high-end fancy luxurious ones.... and def not a RIU.

Edited: 23 October 2010, 06:53
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Negril----Worst 1200 spent on a vacation!

Riu Negril is terrible.

The beach is man made, and the food is cooked for Canadians...

It is overcrowded, overbooked, and just substandard.

We will never go to any Riu managed hotels ever again.

Stick to Couples Swept Away or Couples in Ocho Rios

OR

If you want to do your own thing book something at one of the small hotels on 7 Mile closer to town...