We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digecell rates for long distance??

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Digecell rates for long distance??

We are planning to purchase our own phone from Digicel when we arrive and are wondering what the true charge rate is for phoning home to Canada using regular minutes. Seems to me a 1000 minute long call to Canada at a cost of $10 US cannot be the case. Minute for minute. I also understand that regular minutes can be used for local and international calling and those international minutes you cannot use for local calls. I would like to know what the true costs are.

Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

you don't need to be on a thousand mintue long call.. it's 1000 minutes in total for as many calls as you can make in that time (not sure if digicel does per-second billing?) and it's 1000J for those minutes (plus tax, which is about 18.5% if you're buying direct from digicel i believe, 20% or more if you're buying from a reseller)... all and all it's a bit more than 10US, about 12 plus the tax, so a little over 13US... you'd have to buy the credit, add it to the phone (with the code on the back of the card(s) and activate the plan using a special "code"... those have been posted before on this board, but it's easiest to ask the staff to do it for you... they'll have you set up in a minute

it REALLY is 1000 minutes to Canada, REALLY! :) (i've used it plenty and they also have 1250 min for 1250J plus tax)... but if you decide not to go with the LD plan, rates are like 17.75J per minute to Canada (which is around 25c per minute)..

hope that helps... bring ID to buy a digicel phone, they do require it now...

Chelle

winnipeg, manitoba
Level Contributor
829 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

We purchased a phone a few years ago. At that time it was $30.00 U.S. and included 1000 long distance minutes. These minutes we good for 1 week. If I remember correctly it was not for local calls but hopefully someone else will know for sure. We also bring the phone with us to other caribbean islands and just get a new sim card for it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

no.. once you use the credit to buy the international plan that time/credit cannot be used for local calls... the plan is good for one month or until the minutes are done, (i.e. can only add one per calendar month, so renting phones can sometimes run into an issue if you get a phone that has had a plan added that month but the minutes have been used...)

there is often a double up promotion... if you add the 1000J for international plan, you get 1000J in credit for local (digicel to digicel) calls... that bonus credit will expire in a week... but it's a nice plus

the mobile rates and plans they get are FAR better deals than anything i've seen out of Canada....

as far as buying the phone, if you have a phone from up in Canada that is a "SIM card" phone and can get it unlocked, you can just bring that and buy the digicel SIM... I use my iphone from Canada whenever i'm on the island... When i was there last, Claro had the better data rates/plans... but digicel has recently upgraded to the 4G network, and i'm not up to date on what they are currently offering as far as dataplans go...

Enjoy

Chelle

Edited: 06 January 2011, 14:50
United States
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

See the following

digiceljamaica.com/en/…flex_tariffs

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

here's the international plan link (i think the digicel website, while full of info, is a bit cryptic to navigate if you dont' know what you're looking for)

digiceljamaica.com/assets/uploads/JAM/Intern…

Chelle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

and it looks like the double up is now for the online credit top ups, so if you can get to a PC and add the credit that way, you'll get it... for this month at least... it's a popular promotion and they do have it running often thru the year...

digiceljamaica.com/assets/uploads/FAQ_s___T_…

Chelle

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

It may not be the best deal to allow the dealer to put on your credit. The 'double bubble' that Chell refers to has been a bit scarce unless you buy credit online, where the offer seems to be permanent. Troublesome though it may be, if you top up $1250 online, after you have set up International Plan (IP) you will have $1250 free bonus credit for local Digicel to Digicel calls.

The credit lasting for 1 week, that northernexposure mentions, applies to the double bubble local credit. Unused IP minutes expire after 1 month.

Setting up IP is simple. Once you have enough credit to purchase ($1000 or $1250) send *134# When the reply comes, you will be instructed to buy by sending *134*1000# or *134*1250# depending on how many minutes your are purchasing.

Hope that helps and clarifies

Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

Wow " 1000 minutes to Canada, REALLY"

Not going to bother with our Canadian phones at all..Just not worth the hastel to me.

Thanks

9. Re: Digecell rates for long distance??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 05:17