We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
RI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

hi

i've heard it's good to bring stuff from the states to pay for things in negril. anyone have any tips on that? what kinds of things? tshirts, clothes, cds, jewelry, etc.? what else?

and any tips on how to handle situations when u don't want to be hustled/talked into paying for something u don't want? without coming across as a snob? gets tiring!

thanks everyone!!!!!!!

lainey

Madison, Wi
Level Contributor
161 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

With a couple of exceptions, you will find that Jamaicans greatly prefer cash over t-shirts, Nikes, CDs, and other forms of "wampum". American dollars are accepted, but Jamaican dollars are the most hassle-free for the vendors because they don't then have to visit the cambio.

That being said, some people like to leave small luxury items IN ADDITION to the tips that are left for the housekeeping staff. Not dollar-store items, but things that are either not commonly available or unique to your region. We travel in early February, so I often bring a couple of boxes of Valentine's Day cards for kids and leave those along with a few $$ per day for the housekeepers. I've also left Bath/Body Works' smaller size items and/or snack foods that are not available in JA. Not as payment, just to share a little fun with the staff.

As to not being hassled, your best response is a polite but firm, "no thanks" when approached. No eye-rolling is needed, just continue about your business and you'll be fine. Have a fun trip!

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
895 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

umm..I don't know where you heard that from, but you got some wrong info. If you want to bring things to give away, then do so. But you won't find many locals willing to barter with you. We do barter, but we only barter with those we know and we will barter services more than goods.

Just bring your money and pay for what you want. As for vendors, a polite no thank you works wonders.

American dollars are greatly welcomed. Many Jamiacans have two bank accounts..one for for JMD and one for USD.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

Agree with the above two posters - A polite no thank you is all that it takes - not snobbish, not rude - Also, since to my horror I saw it happen - The duty free shops at the airport are NOT a place to haggle prices.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

As mentioned, if stuff=money, you're set... It's not unusual for a vendor to bump the price of an item down if you throw in something they are enticed by ( or for them to throw in a freebe or two), but they still need to earn a living and put food on the table.. And the grocery stores are another place that don't haggle prices :)

Enjoy

Chelle

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

Really? lol

This post should be deleted mods....

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

Why should it be deleted. If the OP has heard this, other may have as well (in fact there was a thread on this same topic a few weeks ago). If people learn from it, then it deserves to be here.

To the OP, money is king. If you want to take things to give away, go for it.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

Many years ago barter was a good thing. Our conveniences were hard to come by, and very expensive in Jamaica. Those days are over. My first trip to Negril, I brought a Playmate cooler, as we spent most of our time on a unihabited beach. I had many people in town wanting to buy that cooler, as the local price was about $40.00 on it. Now we all get our "coolers" from the same source (china) and the price is mostly the same all over.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

"Really? lol

This post should be deleted mods....

"

absolutely not IMO.. this is asked a few times a year as it is somewhat common in some other tropical/caribbean destinations... if you're not sure, it's good to ask about these things rather than be unprepared or offend...

Chelle

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

Bring cash to pay for things.

As for how to say 'no' ... If you're not interested in what's being offerd, then politely insist that you're not shopping, you're just walking... Don't let anyone put anything in your hand unless you're considering buying it. The shop keepers will want you to come and look at their shops, if you're shopping; go look... If you're not, just say so.

Blessings and respect.

Steve

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringin stuff from the states to pay for things

"since to my horror I saw it happen - The duty free shops at the airport are NOT a place to haggle prices."

Why not? If the owner is there or the manager is authorized, they may very well like to make a deal to get your business.

I've done it in duty free shops, not at the airport but I suppose if I were thinking to spend all my money in one shop I'd try to make a deal.

I've been given 50% off in some shops before so the wiggle room is there....

Edited to add, I guess I was thinking of the gift shops...not the rum/liquor/perfume/tobacco duty free shops. I'd haggle on jewelry though, if i were buying any....

Edited: 18 January 2011, 18:58