We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

really?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
really?

This has got to be one of the snootiest and goofiest statements I have ever read in a review about a resort....really?!?! So basically if you are a rich snob who only cares about perceptions don't go to CSA, LOL.

I'm not sure there is a "sophisticated boutique hotel for the jet set" in Negril..... hmmm

"It really depends on your socioeconomic background as to how you will view this place. The vast majority of people will have a great time in all regards. Some folks that have a higher level of expectations might want to look elsewhere. it is not by any means a sophisticated boutique hotel for the jet set."

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: really?

I wouldn't pay any attention to this email. It sounds like they are just snobs, maybe because they live in New York City, they feel that the laid back vibe of CSA is not for their snobby friends.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: really?

Oh I know, I just got a good laugh out of it. Oh well, more for me and us "low class" couples lovers. Hehehe

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: really?

Without bothering to read the review one thing I found interesting about Negril, and regardless of where one stays, is that you never can tell who you might actually be rubbing shoulders with at any given time unless you engage them in conversation. People from all walks of life and life styles with incomes varying from barely scraping by to exceptionally well off vacation here. The reason they do is that they can be anonymous and blend in with every other tourist. Everyone is treated the same. Apparently the reviewer does not realize this and to place him/herself on a pedestal is their loss to having a richer experience.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: really?

amen! I like it for that reason, I've been to my share of high end boutiquey places and most are too stuffy and stiff for my taste. Negril and CSA for that matter is perfect, laid back, not stuffy and friendly. I'll take that please. I don't need marble and a butler to make me feel important!

Edited: 22 January 2011, 15:04
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: really?

This is just me ........Maybe at a younger age I would of like have all of the Fruu-Fruu stuff at a resort.

But at an older age... I want to get up when I want, toss on a swimsuit and cover-up and head to breakfast then to the beach. Not having go out an buy a whole new wardrobe just to dress for breakfast....to please and look good for everyone else, of who can out do each other....

I like to relax and enjoy my vacation...not have someone hovering over me 24/7.

The simple things in life can really be the best....

Disneychicks

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,889 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: really?

I agree with EinWI that the part about the socioeconomic backgrounds may have been a poor choice of phrase, but the reviewer did write, "My wife and I spent four days and can't wait to return. " He's not the snob. I love CSA, even more than a couple of AI's we have stayed at that were double the price. It's my favorite place on earth. But it's not Parrot Cay, Pink Sands, or Necker Island. So, in that regard, the reviewer really isn't that far off. If I had $20000 to spend on a week of vacation, CSA probably wouldn't be my first choice. It is a fantastic resort for me, given my socioeconomic level.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: really?

No its def not any of this places and yes it was a poor choice of words. If I had 20k I'd be off to Australia or Tahiti but its def not a motel 6. Disney I think it just depends on the person not necessarily age we're younger and I could not agree more with your statement I too look for that.

Edited: 22 January 2011, 16:18
Level Contributor
641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: really?

You may be surprised to know that some of our most returned couples are extremely wealthy - but you would not know it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: really?

oh I believe that

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: really?

LMAO - yet another person who didn't do their homework -- cause the whole of negril ITSELF, is not "a sophisticated" destination "for the jet set." For folks who want that kind of vacation, yep, something akin to Necker is their spot.....just gotta LOL at this stuff...