We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

Hello,

(I've searched on here and didn't find an answer)

I'm wondering what is the best blue mountain coffee.

last year we bought the kind in the burlap with the stamp on the back from a supermarket, but I've been hearing about Jablum and I didn't see this last year.

What is the best, where can I get the best without driving up to Mavis Bank, although i'd like to make that a day trip, if the cost of coffee is cheaper.

Is the one in the burlap sack one of the best. I think I paid between $16 to $18 US last year for a pound of beans and I'd like to know if that's good and can I get it cheaper.

Thanks

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

We usually get wallenford blue I think.

Woodinville...
Level Contributor
180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

We bought ALOT of coffee, and being from Seattle, home of Starbucks, my wife and I are ones who appreciate coffee. We had Wallenford, Jablum, and also got some from a man who sold it by the pound on the beach. We paid roughly $15 per pound, and when we got back home we sampled everything. Wallenford was our least favorite (still good), Jablum was our favorite of the official Blue Mountain coffees, and I only say that because genuine Blue Mountain coffee will have a seal on it stating as such, and the coffee that was sold to us from the guy on the beach was said to be Blue Mountain but there was no way to know. It could have been "High Mountain", which is good too. But in all honesty we actually liked the stuff from the beach vendor the absolute best. We had some that was lightly roasted, and some that was a dark roast. The beans had a nice sheen to them and were noticebly more fragrant. So I would encourage you to ask about any local roasters and try some. I would definately buy an assortment again as there are always those who appreciate it as gifts, and one other point to bring up is that brands like Jablum, while in a burlap sack, are actually sealed in a foil pouch and thats very good if you plan on buying enough to last a while. So we always go through the fresh roasted first and once we run out we go to the Jablum. We brought back 19 pounds last year, so I guess you could say we dug the coffee :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

19 pounds!!! That would probably last us a whole year. I paid $20 for a pound of Wallenford Blue at HiLo in MoBay last December. I've heard of people paying as little as $10 / pound but I have no idea where to go to get it at that price.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

I bought a 5lb bag last april at the airport and just ran out. Thinking this time I'm getting 2. Jablum I like, Wallenford is good. 19lbs!?!?!? holy cow, how much will they allow you to bring back?

Edited: 02 February 2011, 12:42
Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

" how much will they allow you to bring back?"

As much as you can carry.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

I like Jablum. We usually get between 10-20 pounds depending on when our next trip back will be. Usually if you're buying a larger amount, expecially if you're paying in cash, the stores will give you a price break.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 15:17
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

Yeah I'm living in Seattle as well and I can't start my day without coffee.

I was going to ask how much can you bring back. I figured there wouldn't be a limit, but maybe thought it might be like the alcohol two bottle max p/p.

The kind we had last year was the one in a burlap sack with the foil inside that had that stamp of seal on it (not fake)

It said blue mountain and it was very good.

I'll probably want to bring 5 or so pounds back and have it last me for a while.

Here is the one we bought last year (remember the label)

my-island-jamaica.com/images/blue_mountain_c…

Is that better than Jablum.

I'd probably like to bring a few pounds of jablum and a few pounds of the wallenford blue back.

I would tend to think that it would be more cost effective to not purchase it at the airport. Are there any stores I should look for or will any supermarket type store sell them?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

" ... maybe thought it might be like the alcohol two bottle max p/p"

Not exactly correct. The tax free allowance for alcohol is 2 bottles/pp (as long as one is from the Caribbean).

You can bring more in, but it may be taxed or may be not. I have brought in 10 bottles of rum from a Jamaican trip and did not pay any tax.

san antonio
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

Just got back Sunday, brought back 20#. I think the limit is $500 coming into the US. I paid $15/lb from the guy on the beach, got his number from a local, I think his name is Leroy? Just ask around for the coffee guy, he roasts his own.

Usually bring an empty suitcase for coffee.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

If your in Negril, Hi Lo should sell it. It's going for around JMD$1,300 per pound plus tax in the supermarkets (Jablum and Wallenford 100% BM coffee) tax is 17.5%.