We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Point Village Negril...

Ohio~Is4Lovrs
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Point Village Negril...

Does anyone know anything about owning an apartment in Point Village in Negril. My wife and I are considering buying a vacation/investment property and keep coming across these apartments. I'm curious to know if you actually have ownership of the residence. Can you live there if you like or can these only be used for rentals?

Any info would be nice. We are going to be going down look at properties in June and are trying to get a list together of places to look at.

Michigan
Level Contributor
453 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Point Village Negril...

There are several people with places at PV on here and I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. They put together a website that you may already have come across? www.pointvillage.net

We were faithful PV people, loved it there!

Ohio~Is4Lovrs
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Point Village Negril...

Many thanks for the quick response. I look forward to hearing from some of the actual owners you were referring to. Can you tell me anything about the village?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Point Village Negril...

It is the biggest resort I have seen in Negril and completely quiet and secluded, yet right down teh beach form teh action. Although the restauraunts are not functional at this time the property has a large swimming pool, hot tub, family beach, secluded clothing optional beach. A large rock platform with 2 rock pools and plenty of gathering area to look out at the sunset or the island of booby cay which is right across in the distance. Large Shells wash up on the rocks. Tennis courts, basketball, beautiful caves, snorkeling. Beautiful landscaping and top notch security. Yes there are many units up for sale I was given prices and shown a few when I was just there.

United States
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Point Village Negril...

As pointed out above, there is currently no food service at the Point Village. For food and drink you have two options. First, most if not all of the units come with a kitchen so you can cook for yourself (check before you rent a unit). There is a gas station within walking distance which sells a limited range of food and drink. For most food shopping you will need to go into downtown Negril (about 5 miles from PV).

Your second option is to eat out. The Cosmos Restaurant is about 2 miles south of PV and is the nearest place to eat. There are many other restaurants in Negril but you should plan on using a taxi to reach almost all of them.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Point Village Negril...

If you're thinking of purchasing one of the condos that was used as a rental unit, be aware that you may have expenses for plumbing service immediately. Also locksmith service. Many units had problems with toilets, and locks that required Houdini to gain entrance to the unit. Most, if not all the units will need refurbishing.

wirral
Level Contributor
1 post
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Point Village Negril...

We stayed at point village a few years ago, then there was a problem with one of the properties being a brothel! We were in Negril RIU 16/01/2011 and asked our rep about Point Village and was told their company no longer take bookings for the place 'big drug problem and management seem to have lost their way' her words not mine! Dig deeper my friend before parting with your hard earned cash.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Point Village Negril...

Drug problem?/?/? That's actually funny. the reason they don't book anymore is there is no one for them to book with. This is no longer a managed by company property , no longer a hotel. It is all private owners that some rent out their units , many are available for sale, so there is no one for them to book with.

This place is so secure , serene , and silent thats why I said I had to laugh. i have not seen security like this at any other Negril property. The only way to enter is the guarded gate with a rail that has to be lifted for entry, or the guarded beach. There is no pass through traffic. Your agent must be out of touch but as I am sure they book for so many places to know the ins and outs of each is beyond expectation.

There are units here for sale for $100,000. US with $100 a month maintenance, if I had the money I would absolutely do this. I encourage you to travel to the property and perhaps rent a perspective unit for a few days to experience this property.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Point Village Negril...

We were PV regulars upto it closing. Like others have said I would jump at the chance to return and stay they as he property is now. With a group of family and friends it would be fantastic.

What we always liked about it is that it had a good mix of locals and tourists and if you took the time to say hi- hello the locals there became friendly.

The problem we have now travelling fro m the Uk is that as a package PV was always a really good price. sometimes it was almost as much for he flight alone. So to book flights and Pv accommodation separately makes it very expensive ;(

Ohio~Is4Lovrs
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Point Village Negril...

Thank you for the responses everyone. We are sure to take a first hand look at these properties during our next visit. Any more info is greatly appreciated.

Redford, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Point Village Negril...

Hi JamaicaMyLove, Thank you for the positive information regarding Point Village, Negril. Me and my husband are going to be staying at one of the condos in Janauary which was referred by another couple who have stayed there several times and absolutely love it. I was wondering if you have any photos of Point Village? I was told because the condos are privately owned that Trip Advisor removed all visitor photos which is really a big disappointment. Any suggestions you may share are appreciated. My husband is a musician and we were wondering if there are any concerts, etc. in January? Thank you.