We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking 7 mile beach

suburban chicago
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Topic
walking 7 mile beach

flip flops or water shoes?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking 7 mile beach

Or bare feet, its not rocky

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: walking 7 mile beach

bare feet on the beach

flip flops at the bar(s)

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: walking 7 mile beach

take a look - !

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/76/d5/77/b…

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: walking 7 mile beach

Bare feet equal a chance for hook worm.

So,,,,FF's at the resort

&...WS's for long beach walks...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
303 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking 7 mile beach

Just did this in January...mix of flip flops and bare feet....

Hookworms...?...we had no problem but who knows....

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: walking 7 mile beach

Also if the sea if rough & you can't exactly see where your stepping, I would recommend the water shoes. Last time I was in Negril, while taking a walk, I took just a few steps into the sea to refresh from the heat over by the south end of the Margaritaviille property only to rip a 1 & a half inch long by 1/4 inch deep gash into my foot. It was not a fun experience to say the least & it virtually put an end to all activity for the remainder of my trip, which only just started.

The ironic thing is I once read a brief mention on a Margaritaville post where someone mentioned a death trap of a broken pipe or something of that nature in this very spot. Unfortunately I forgot about such & found what they mentioned. FYI, it is still there waiting for it's next victim.

Point of the story, as with anything else, be prepared for the unexpected

Woodinville...
Level Contributor
180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking 7 mile beach

Question, Is this RINGWORM warning based on first hand experience of something you got, or is this just a fair warning of something that is a possibility. I dont discount it, but I dont ever recall anyone ever saying they got it, never had it myself, so im just curious. Ive been there several times both when the water is crustal clear and just last February when the East Coast weather brought in the wind and a whole mess of debree. If its just your every day sea degree wash up, and nothing too out of the ordinary, typically the beach is pretty darned clean, as most of the establishments like to rake the sand early in the morning of the debree. I cant imagine you would be going to Negril without SOME sort of flip flop or sandle option, and you can determine on a daily basis as to what you want to do. Water shoes can be gotten for less than $20 bucks and are worth having ESPECIALLY is you go on an excursion like Mayfield Falls, so it broadens your options and I bring my closed toe Keen sandals, water shoes, and bare feet :)

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: walking 7 mile beach

it is a possibility - but rare and HIGHLY unlikely -- especially in full-sun areas.

the place where it can possibly be a concern is in the shady areas - that's why IMHO it's a good idea to wear flipflops at the beach bars and restaurants that don't get much sun, and where stray kitties gather

but in the 'full sun' parts of the beach it's not a likely occurrence at all

i'm barefoot anywhere the sun is and so far no critters have gotten into my feet in 22 years- i wouldn't bother going to any beach where i had to wear water shoes, it negates the whole purpose for me

Edited: 07 February 2011, 07:18
Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: walking 7 mile beach

By the trees / shaded areas is where those nasties can flourish. Especially at hotels where animals are present. But yes people have gotten this. So since many people including myself like to hang in the shade, it is & can always be a possibility. But no luckily I have not had that joy. But as I mentioned, ripping a serious gash in my foot & bleeding profusely for two plus hours wasn't something I expected either

wildrose wisconsin
Level Contributor
712 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walking 7 mile beach

all the islands and mexico resorts and beach bars do not make you wear sandals. bare feet are fine in bars except the restaurants. you can even go barefoot in most of the open eating places next to beaches and pools. first time to negril do they make you wear shoes in the beach bars? it is a state law here bummer! i like to be barefooted.