We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would not want to offend....

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Would not want to offend....

I plan on bringing 'thank you' items for our hotel staff. I know that children's school supplies are appreciated (which I will bring) but I have lots of womens makeup and toiletries such as foundation, lipstick, nail polish, hand lotions etc. which admittedly have been opened but barely used. I know hygiene is a big issue with us 'northerners' but would items such as these be appreciated by the female staff or would they find this offensive?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would not want to offend....

I would think since used it would not be a good thing. But that is my opinion

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would not want to offend....

I agree if it has been used I would not bring it.......

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Would not want to offend....

Dont worry about dragging all that crap down there. Just go and enjoy your vacation.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would not want to offend....

Hi ZekesterMon. Jamaicans are offended by bringing used items. Just leave a good tip when you go. That will make them smile.

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Would not want to offend....

yes, used items are cast-offs, not a good thing for gifts. But --- even taking 'offend' out of the equation -- it's just unsanitary/unhygeinic to ever share personal care items like lipstick or cosmetics etc. in the first place; so another vote for not bringing.

if you'd like to bring gifts like this, get new ones. places like Target & K-mart have very nice small 'gift sets' with lotion, cologne & bath gel, etc.; very affordable.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 04:52
Montego Bay
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Would not want to offend....

Cash, not cast offs :)

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would not want to offend....

Unopened makeup, toiletries, etc. are fine but a Jamaican will not use anything that has been opened for hygenic reasons (think about it - would YOU use a "barely used" lipstick? Ew.)

When we return to the states we leave our "leftover" soaps, shampoos, sunscreens and bug sprays with our expat friends. Leftover food items such as spices, veg, frozen food we leave with our yard man.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 15:34
Seattle
Level Contributor
45,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would not want to offend....

I always think it's best show your appreciation with a generous cash tip (daily). Definetly no used cosmetics.

jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Would not want to offend....

If you bring your own lotions & colognes& shampoos to use while there I think what you have not used would be well appreciated by the housekeepers if you left them in your room for them when you leave, but to bring "barely used" cosmetics as an actual tip or gift, is inappropriate

Cash is always the best tip, although I think ladies might appreciate un-opened skin lotion or nice shampoo & conditioner or cologne.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 16:14
Missouri
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would not want to offend....

I was about to post a question about tips, but since it's kind of being addressed here, what is a customary amount to leave the maid? In Mexico we always leave $5 a day per couple, is that about normal in Jamaica also?