We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

Im just curious to know how Air Jamaica has been to and from JFK airport. We are flying Carribean Airlines on the way home, which is a new airline for us. Had a terrible time both flights in 08 with delays and other problems. should I be prepared?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

I'm curious too, as I'm planning on booking from JFK with them in August.

Asbury Park, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

Well that makes three of us- I'm flying air jamaica for the first time this weekend. Usually I'm pretty loyal to JetBlue, (and I always fly out of JFK) but air jamaica had a later return flight on Monday so I just went with it. Now I'm wondering if that was a mistake... but oh well, don't think I can do anything about it now anyway!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

I used them with last year's trip and was prepared for the worst because it was just as Air Jamaica was turning over operations to Caribbean Airlines. However, they were on time and hassle free. Quick and easy check in in the morning going out of JFK. We did arrive 2+ hours before the flight. Leaving MBJ was a little more hectic with the line and all. But all flights were on time. Overall, I am planning to use them again this year. And they have the best flight times out of NYC. You can't beat an 8:35am arrival and a 6:15pm departure. Adds 2 real days to your trip.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

Same thing for Philly. Have a very good track record. Have used them eight times in the past two years and not one problem. They are now offering free sandwiches and patties on the flights.

new york
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

That's good news. I just read about the merge between Caribbean and Air Jamaica. We always take Air Jamaica and have been fine except for what we encountered on our last trip in 08. All of the airlines at that time were having major problems anyway, so hopefully they have it together now. You really cant beat arrival at 8:30am and departure to go home at 6:00pm. It does add alot more time to enjoy your vacation. Although Im not looking forward to leaving my house in upstate NY at midnight so we get to JFK at 3:00am. I at least want that flight to be on time because we dont want to be stuck at JFK at that hour :).

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

JFK/MBJ and back, actually pretty poor, only on time 40-some% of the time this past quarter

…flightstats.com/go/…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

Cebakes..Nice! They're serving food again?! One of my favorite things about AJ back in the day was the Callaloo and cheese omlette going down and the Curried chicken and Callaloo on the way back up :)

Jamericangirlnewyork- I didn't check that stats. Just told you what my experience was. So, I hope that the odds are in your favor. Seems that they were in mine. Being stuck at JFK any time of the day is no fun.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

JFK itself is the biggest issue really. Despite having 4 runways, it's not unusual to have 20 or 30 planes 'scheduled' for the same departed time. Thats not to say that some airlines are better at turnarounds and gate push back times but it's a numbers game at JFK. Sometimes the plane is locked and ready to go and will push back only to sit on the ramp waiting for the 25 planes in front of you to takeoff. As with most high traffic airports, the earlier in the day your flight time is, the more likely it is to leave somewhere closer to your scheduled time. Newark used to be better but now is in the same situation. We live in Florida and usually use Jetblue out of Orlando with an 8:20am departure and usually take off pretty c

OSS to the scheduled time. By noon, the airport is a mess.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

I flew Air JA to Kingston from JFK in November - no problems on the flight down, actually landed early. I flew a different airline back.

From my experiences - usually no problems leaving to go, and typically a delay on the return flight - never anything major though

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Have Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines been on time from JFK?

You can use this link to track recent flights in or out of JFK. I've been watching Air Jamaica also since they have the best flights to/from Jamaica. We were delayed about six hours on our early am Delta flight last year. The days that I have checked, Air Jamaica has been on time.

www.panynj.gov/airports/flight-status.html…