We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea wind resort or the palms?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitefish Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
sea wind resort or the palms?

My wedding is feb 2012 and need to suggest and block hotel rooms for 30 guests and debating between sea wind resort (all standard rooms or some with kitch) and the palms which is next door to sea wind. Are the beds at sea wind to small for 2 adults? They say they are double beds, and wondering If 4 single females could room together to save $$. anyone suggest certain rooms there? How far walk to super market and town?

Nice beach? Just overall comments would be great! Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea wind resort or the palms?

I have stayed at SW twice and written reviews after both stays.

I will come back later to write more thoughts (off to a meeting now)

Wendy at SW is the General manager if you decide to email them from the website.

In short, great location and great beach!

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sea wind resort or the palms?

Isn't Palms across the street?

I have stayed at Seawind - the double beds are full size beds, so if your friends are okay up close and personal they could share beds - It's definitely a walk into town, but there is a small grocery right near by and it's fairly easy to get a cab from the road.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sea wind resort or the palms?

As you look to sea, The Palms is to the left next door.

I really like The Palms restaurant (Krystal's $$$) as well as their mojito bar and live Sunday night Jazz. The Palms has a pool right above the beach, whereas SW does not have a pool.

I have stayed in both the small seafront beach cottage and an upstairs kitchenette room (FYI all the kitchenette rooms are located upstairs). The kitchenette rooms have small fridges (undercounter style) but the large and the small beachfront rooms have medium and large size fridges with freezer space on top of the unit.

The two rooms that face the ocean are 101 downstairs and 201 upstairs.

The majority of the remaining rooms are perpendicular to the ocean.

During the day they have music playing at SW; I think The Palms does that also.

There is usually something going on at the restaurant often at night at Seawind (Shereta's is the name of the restaurant). They just added live reggae on Sunday nights. Monday is karaoke, Thursday is the beach buffet and bonfire with reggae band and drummers/dancers. In between those nights they may have wedding receptions or other celebrations sometimes for other guests.

During my last stay, they catered a local Jamaican church revival one Sunday morning on the upstairs deck. Quite a spectacle actually but fun to watch!

The best thing for me about SW is that the staff are wonderful and attentive.

Always had hot water and the pressure was always good. The wifi reception was good in my room and property wide.

During power outages there is no backup generator except for the front office computers, but the during my stays the outages were rare and lasted a couple of hours at most.

There is a small market across the street and to the left slightly which has basic stuff - soda, alcohol, sundries, snacks, butter, milk, ice, etc. (Next to "Cool Spot" restaurant). If you are going to stock up I'd recommend a stop downtown at the Hi Lo or Valumaster.

It is very easy to get to town by route taxi - $100JMD per person each way downtown (day time) and back. You could walk it of course but it would be about 30 minutes or so depending.

I have not stayed at The Palms as an overnight guest but would consider it.

Edited: 09 March 2011, 21:40
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sea wind resort or the palms?

We just got back from the Seawind literally two days ago and we loved it.

The beds are a good size and my wife and I slept on one with plenty of room.

The two property's are only separated by the Pilot's Cafe (great breakfast) and the Captain Quality parasailing (on the beach)

We stayed at the Palms last year. The rooms are nice, but only if you get the upgraded rooms.

The price of the Seawind is very reasonable and the rooms are nice. We prefer the Seawind over the Palms.

The staff at the Seawind is amazing. Very professional.

We had the standard room and it was fine for us. We also got to try out the Junior suite which is really nice and a room with a kitchenette.

The standard room is great if you don't plan on cooking at all and all rooms have an A/C which is nice.

PM me if you have any specific questions about either property.

Anthony

5. Re: sea wind resort or the palms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 01:16