We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Ocho Rios from Negril

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Transportation to Ocho Rios from Negril

I booked the Couples Secret Rendezvous for the last 5 of 8 nights in Jamaica, and just found out I will be going to Couples Tower Isle. I wanted Couples Swept Away, but obviously was okay with going elsewhere! Glad I booked a hotel in Negril for the 1st 3 days since I really wanted to see the Beach/Sunsets!

Still need some advice though about getting to CTI from Negril (for relatively low cost - but time efficient). I had asked Couples' customer service via email, but have yet to hear back...but its only been 1 day. I figure that if I can make it back to the airport from Negril I can catch the Couples shuttle, but don't know if I can access the lounge in the airport since I hear it is past security????

Transfer companies want about $50 each roundtrip from MBJ to Negril, and they stop at who knows how many hotels on the way. A taxi would be about $140 roundtrip. Both of these would be transfer only and not include any excursions (easily add $100 for 1 excursion).

Thought about renting a car for 3 days while in Negril, and then could make my own excursions from the a la carte hotel, and would work out to be cheaper than transportation and taxi to excursions. I am not a timid driver, as I grew up in San Francisco and have rented a car in Mexico each time I've gone there. But I've never been to Jamaica before, and never drove on the other side of the road (but it sounds like fun).

But I need to figure this out QUICK...I leave in 3 days!

I guess I will post this several other places to see if I get some suggestions back faster.

Thanks in advance if anyone has ideas,

April

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Ocho Rios from Negril

For a list of your transfer options to/from Negril see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147313-s301/Negril:J…

Your goals of 'relatively low cost - but time efficient' are working against each other. You need to decide which of the two is most important to you.

Renting a car in Jamaica is NOT recommended. You normal issues of driving in Jamaica plus you will also have the problem that all of car rental operators in Negril are local operators and you will need to return the car to Negril (no one way rentals).

Lets assume you decide that low cost is your goal. First take a shuttle bus from MBJ to Negril for about $us20 (if you must pay) per person. Second , take a shuttle bus from Negril back to MBJ again for $us20 per person. Arrange with Couples a bus switch at MBJ when you first arrive in Jamaica. Third, take the free Couples shuttle bus to Tower Isle and back. Travel time from Negril to Tower Isle will be in the range of 3.5 hours.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Ocho Rios from Negril

Clives is $20PP from Mo Bay to Negril, and I think $30 from Mo Bay to Ochi - I have friends that used them from Ochi to Negril but I am not sure of what they charged - you could email them to ask.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Ocho Rios from Negril

I do this each trip and I used Clives this last trip was $50. I am scheduled to do the same this trip. There is the Knudsford Express which I have been booked on many times but it is never working or many other excuses and they cancel so now I just use Clives.

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Ocho Rios from Negril

Thanks, I suppose cost is outweighing time efficiency, so I can do more in the short 3 days I have in Negril. I will finalize tonight, but will most likely use Clives, and forget about excursions, since so many are included at Couples Tower Isle, and just enjoy the Beach.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Ocho Rios from Negril

Clive will be your best choice unless you want to fly using Timair (they quoted me $650 from Ochi to Negril). Because you are not starting out from a Couples resort or the airport, the shuttle is not an option, at least that is my understanding.

6. Re: Transportation to Ocho Rios from Negril

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:17