We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Couples resorts..............

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Couples resorts..............

Could someone tell me that has stayed at couples do you tip? Is it allowed? If so, who do you usually tip and how much. Just curious as we're looking to make a trip to Couples Negril.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

You do not tip Couples employees. That is already including in the price of your stay and they could be fired for taking a tip. You can tip non Couples employees like the airport porters, driver to and from the resort, spa works, and your guides on trips outside the resort.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

No tipping, only spa employees

Toronto
Level Contributor
930 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

Only Spa employees and the bus drivers from airport, as they are not couples employees. There are numerous threads on this forum about the no tipping policy at Couples. They are very firm on their policy, and guests should respect it. Its hard not to tip, as the staff are so wonderful, but that is part of why everyone is treated the same, and tips are not permitted. Please respect their policy.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

That is wonderful things about Couples, is that you get wonderful service and don't have to worry about tipping. With the exception of course the wonderful women in the spa and the shuttle drivers.

Waterford...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

I have a question about this as well. Ive heard people sometime buy little gifts for the people the staff that provides room service. Is buy little dollar store gifts acceptable or should we just not bother entirely? Please help!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
219 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

No tipping is very much enforced @ Couples. Instead, Couples staff participate in a profit sharing program with their employer. Somehow it seems to work as you still seem to get some of the best service and staff morale you'll find anywhere in the Carribean,

See here for thread that covers this pretty well: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k400483…

Whatever resort you choose, I hope you have a great trip!

Edited: 31 March 2011, 02:50
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

I've done the little gifts for staff. Nail polish, bath and body works stuff for the ladies; hats and t-shirts for the men. Also, candy. Our chocolate is better than theirs, they tell me :) And school supplies are always useful.

Dollar store stuff okay, you don't have to be extravagant. But it is nice to show appreciation, without giving cash and jeopardizing their jobs.

You do have to put a note with the gifts, that includes your name and room number and who the gift is for.

Also, you don't have to do this. It won't affect how you are treated at all. We mostly do it now for those that we have become close to over the years.

8. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 14:23
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

Please no tipping, we bring gifts. You can tip your driver on the way to and from, your skycap at the airport, spa employees. But not the servers, maids, bartenders etc ON the resort property. Gifts are best, or write them a RAVE review when you check out.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at Couples resorts..............

Tipping is officially against the resort policy as weed is officially illegal in Jamaica. Yesssssssss, it is:-) I stayed at Couples San Souci and found a way to tip discretely and generously. I am not one that is bound by rules but ruled by conscience. The easiest way to get around the rule is to arrange and GIVE outside the gate.

" Is buy little dollar store gifts"

The dollar store is a gold mine. here are things to consider:

cute school supplies

black or brown shoe polish

icy hot

ked no show black sock

wrist watch - Walmart is fine, mine still works

sun glasses

hot wheels cars

hair barrettes

flavored lip gloss

condoms - they want XL

American treats

"Also, you don't have to do this. It won't affect how you are treated at all."

Totally agree!

Yes Couples staff participates in a profit sharing plan (as Sandals provides medical). As you know many businesses haven't been profitable lately or according to the Accountants . Next to a Princess cruise , Couples has been my best vacation. I tipped toward the end of my vacation so my charm and warm smile were as valuable as my $$$, that was just extra for dinner that night.

Have a great trip, I did!

Edited: 31 March 2011, 04:11