We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goat water

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Goat water

Is there a restaurant that serves goat water? (man soup) I've had it on Tortola and Antigua. Hope they serve it in Jamaica

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Goat water

yes they have it, they call it "mannish water" -- i haven't seen it on too many restaurant menu's though, it's usually a special Christmas-time thing, that people make at home

Edited: 08 April 2011, 22:37
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goat water

I don't think I have seen it on a menu except at Christmas time

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Goat water

islandbuoy if you go and eat at smaller places like Coletta's or Coconuts International or Miss Sonia's... after getting to know them you might ask and see if they might make it for you ....

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Goat water

Thanks I'll just ask at some of the local places.The last time I had it I crash a locals beach picnic on a beach on Antigua. My wife and I were adopted because we knew that they were cooking goat water. Each Island makes goat water a little different. I'm hoping to have it while were staying in Negril

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Goat water

Yep, you might need to crash a wedding or a funeral. You don't get married for buried in Jamaica without curry goat and manish wata.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goat water

Mustbe - I know it's a typo, but your post has me cracking up - married for buried? LOL

Another spot to try is Fattys - we've gone early in the day and ordered a full meal for that night - gave them the $ to get the ingredients for what we wanted in advance. Miss Sonia would probably do the same.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Goat water

At the smaller non touristy restaurants you will find manish water on the menu anytime of year (it may just depend what night you go i.e. Monday & Thur may be mannish wata, Wed chicken footsoup, Tue red pea soup etc). I too have never been to a nine night without seeing manish wata, that was no typo.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Goat water

I was invited to a childs birthday party and had it inna yaard... what a treat! I didn't think I would like it but in fact, it was yum ;)

Recently I had some of that chicken soup with the foot... it was yum too (I just couldn't look pon the foot while I was eating it, yikes!)

Sometimes the best soups are in a local neighborhood across from a local bar where local folks are drinking & playing dominoes or cards... with sweet hand painted signs announcing it's for sale.

While we're on the subject of food, I wanna state for the record that eating the eyes found in a fried fish... man-o-man, another delicacy that I never would have thought of on my own! There is a certain 'procedure' to it.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goat water

ok so what ingrediants are in goats water or man soup? presumably goat?? and ?

sorry but never heard of it

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goat water

foodnetwork.com/recipes/…index.html

Goat head