We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

We are travelling to Negril 8/2011-We have only experienced Sandal's AI's in Jamaica, but we are trying to venture out to another resort. I have three resorts that I am trying to narrow down to which one would be best. My husband and I are in our 30's, no kids, we are on the fence about the party scene. I guess we all have a little party in us. I just don't want to get to a resort where there is NO scene when the sun goes down. I want to stick to an AI, but I am just not sure which one to chose. Opinions welcome. I believe all three of these we can get under $2400 for 4 nights airfare included.

1) Sunset at the Palms

2) Couples Swept Away

3) Riu Tropical Bay

Your suggestions and opinions are appreciated.

Negril
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

Check out SAT-P reviews...IMO it's far nicer and unique than any of the major AI's....different ambience completely...it's our first choice every time..and has been for many years...don't want to be room number amongst hundreds of others.at the same resort, if you know what I mean?

The party life can be very quiet at SAT-P, but just depends who you hook-up with...and yes, you can have late nights at the pool swim-up bar and Hot-tub....but it is generally alot quieter than the big AI's...we like that...'cos you can always make your own fun or go into town via taxi...always parked outside...if ya want......usually find by about 1100pm..the sand/pool gravity has kicked-in for the day...and all you want to do is Chillax on the day-bed on the balcony!!! Lush Jungle gardens and really friendly staff make this place, but go ahead and read the reviews....sure you'll love it!!!

Soooo Unique!!!

RESPECT XXX

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

couples swept away would be my choice simply because it's in a different league as the riu and if it's available at a similar pricepoint, the choice is a no brainer, IMO (not that i dislike the riu, but it's just not as special a place, not to mention, it's not adults only)...

SATP is a lovely spot too, but a bit of a step down on the luxury/ammenities scale (IMO) , and again, not adults only...

comparing just the nightlife scene, i think the riu might have a small edge in activity on site, simply because its larger... but the location of couples allows you to easily get off site and enjoy much of the real nightlife that Negril has to offer outside the resort gates... pick the right place and the right night and you could party til dawn :)

that said, after the first weekend in August, the Negril scene can be a bit lower key than usual, so it's probably not wise to expect wild party scene...

which dates in August were you looking at?

Chelle

United States
Level Contributor
12,023 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

Of the three listed resorts I would pick Couples Swept Away. None of the properties listed are big in nightlife so plan to go out at night to party. Swept Away is closer to the party area in Negril than the others. The RIU and Couples are on the beach while Sunset at the Palms is across the road from the beach (which I rate as a negative).

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

Csa gets my vote

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

My vote is also for Couples Swept Away. The only resort you have picked that is Couples or adults only all inclusive. I have stayed at Riu hotels in Mexico, but have NO desire to visit one in Jamaica. CSA does offer nightly entertainment, there is a nightly show, followed by piano bar and / or disco. Also, there is a weekly beachparty and bonfire on the beach. I have walked past the beach at SATP and I did not care for it. Location was fine, but seemed on the smaller side ( compared to Riu or CSA ). CSA has the nicest beach and best location of those listed. Also, you will get more inclusions with CSA, catamaran cruise, snorkeling, basic scuba, water skiing, hobie cats and other water activities. I like the style of room at SATP, and thought about visiting, but some of the areas that have caused me not to book - lack of restaurants, beach area separate ( by a road ) from the rest of the resort ( I love sitting on the beach at night ), lack of nightly entertainment, lack of water sports, and just a little too quiet for my taste. Good luck with your research, and no matter where you stay, you will love Negril !

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

Thanks everyone, I think CSA is probably in the running, and now to make it more confusing, my Travel Agent has been able to get a reasonable rate to Sandals, so now I am deciding if I should save $250-300 and go to CSA, or spend it and stick with Sandals...ugh! decisions decisions.

BTW we are going 8/8/2011-8/12/2011

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

I am not sure what you time frame is, but 4 nights, including airfare from Atlanta is very doable at Couples Negril as well. My personal favorite.

CN has a great piano bar, great food, great beach. And all of the inclusions that CSA has.

In addition it is on Bloody Bay, as is Sunset and RIU, just has the best location on Bloody Bay.

$2209 to CN those dates through Allinclusiveoutlets.com (have used them many, many times and they are great)

Edited: 09 May 2011, 16:58
Negril
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

You could really try something different and experience the cliffs....Catcha Falling Star (if available)..is wonderfull!!!!

RESPECT XXX

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

I would do CSA.. as you are closer to the nite time action Alfreds, The Jungle Bourbon Beach...

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril-Confused on where to stay- I have narrowed it down

Drasta, doesn't sound like they want to leave the property.