We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clives Black River safari?

ann arbor
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Clives Black River safari?

Anyone heard of Clives tour company? What is a Black river safari?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clives Black River safari?

I just returned from my fourth trip to Negri and booked a trip to Mayfield falls through Clives. We were picked up in a brand new mini bus with a cooler full of red stripe and water and Clive Jr. was an excellent guide for $40 per person. I've done the Black river tour with YS Falls and the Appleton Estate, but if you truly want to see the countryside and some beautiful mountain views go with the Mayfield Falls tour and definitely hire Clives service. The price and expertise are second to none. Also a ten or twenty dollar tip at the end goes a long way. Let me know if I can give you any other advice.

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clives Black River safari?

We are booked to do this one also thru Clive's in Sept/Oct when we go :-), Let me know how you liked it when you get back...

Redruth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clives Black River safari?

I have been on the Black river safari. It was realy good. you can get very close to the crocs and swim in the water if you dare. You can see my video if you log into the Black River page and click on videos.

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Clives Black River safari?

Also have done Black River and YS Falls--a one day trip with Clives (twice). The last time, our host was Clive, Jr., a fun guy with whom to spend the day! We ended up taking him to dinner with us upon return at Sweet Spice (plus tip, as well). There were four in our party. I forget what we paid, but all agreed it was a highlight of our experience in Jamaica!!

Massapequa Park...
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clives Black River safari?

I would have to agree with the above posters. Clives transportation is the way to go. Safe, respectful, reasonable rates and just a great company. Our family and friends have used them for years for all of our transfers and day trips. Our family has also been lucky to meet and become friends with Junior and meet up with him on every trip to Ja. we take. Go with clives and have a great trip!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clives Black River safari?

Black River Safari is a boat trip up the Black River. It leaves from the town of Black River, goes through the morass (which is a wetland - some lovely views of the mountains there) and then upriver into a narrower area with mangroves. You'll see crocodiles pretty close up. The "safari" most drivers include in tours is on a pontoon boat with a guide who speaks on a loudspeaker and all that. Those boats do a fairly short cruise.

It is also possible to hire a smaller boat that would just hold your group and no one else. Those can go much further up the river and get closer to the crocs. They are hired by the hour/trip, so you can stop and get stuffed crab at miss Lou's on the side of the river, get out at Rudy's bar and swing from a rope swing (no crocs that far up the river, they like the lower salty/freshwater mix part). These boats, unlike the pontoon tour boats, can go out to sea and you may want that because that's the only way to get to Pelican Bar (a bar on stilts on a sandbar about a mile offshore) and/or to go see if you can get some dolphins to come play with your boat.

Hiring a small boat is something Clive should be able to help you do but the price/structure may be different than the normal safari trip. I personally feel as long as you['re there you may as well do it all :)

Depending on how many people you have in your group, the smaller boat may cost more per person.

7. Re: Clives Black River safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 17:19