We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

Hello to all and thank you in advance for you replies.

My husband and I find ourselves struggling with the decision between Punta Cana and Negril.

We are in our mid to late twenties and love beautiful beaches, a bit of luxury, and a moderate level of activities.

At this point we've narrowed the resorts between:

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

and Couples Negril

Would love to have some advice from travelers who have experienced both destinations.

Thank you in advance and happy travels to all :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

@Chris, thank you. It called colorism and it's laced in the fabric of Jamaican culture. It has gotten better but even within families lighter skin children are treated differently. The mantra is white you are all right, brown stick around, black go back. The royalty treatment is there but not necessaily for everyone. Like upgrades, I am truly happy for those you get it.

I have never had someone imply that I was lying or did not know what I was talking about on something like this. Some posters are bent on heck to lessen my own personal experience but this takes the cake, so thanks Blondie. I do know what I am talking about. You might never choose to beleive and I am good with that too.

Pauline

Edited: 26 May 2011, 19:50
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

MBT- That's not just laced in Jamaican Culture... you find that everywhere, USA, Africa, etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

Spy- I have learned that but rather play it safe with what I know. As much as Blondie's post took me partly by surprise, I do understand it.  What I am saying can't be true, for something so ugly in a place so beautiful, with people so friendly.  I am a Queen and get treated like that everyday, so if I don't get it at the resort, I am still all dat.

As for resort Couples, San Souci offers not luxury but a true sense of elegance.

Edited: 26 May 2011, 20:40
Illinois
Level Contributor
205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

Negril hands down. Our experience is that Jamaicans are much nicer people and you don't have the communication barrier. Last year twenty six of us went to a Grand Bahia property in the Dominican and half of us were sick when we were there or when we got home. Fortunately that has never happened to us in Jamaica. Our kids are going to Couples Swept Away this fall for their honeymoon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

MBT - some people haven't experienced that, and I guess that is a good thing (for them), but you'd hafta be blind/ignorant to not see that it does happen. It's not worth letting it get you upset or debate about it on a travel forum. You know where you feel most comfortable at, and have a better experience :)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

WOW, I make a post, go away and find I have pm and I am being accused of calling someone a liar.

To be clear, when I state that MTB did not know what she was talking about I was refering to her comments about how someone is treated at CN and not being treated like a princess.

I was not implying that you do not know who Jamaicans treat other Jamaicans. I am American and as you can imagine white, there is no way that I could ever or would ever presume to know what it is like to walk in your shoes or anyone elses.

I was only refering to that while everyone refers to being treated like "family" at CN, they have treated me like a princess. That it is not "rustic" regardless of the exterior appearance or the rooms for that matter. That it is not glitz and glamour but their treatment of their guests, as I have expereinced has always been like a princess.

That is all, I was not making any implication other then that, I was not discussing race, creed, color or religon.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

MBT " - I haven't been to Couples Negril but Couples San Souci. I consider myself a true Princess but never received the royal treatment"

Blondie - "First, MTB, sorry but you really don't know what you are talking about. At CN I do feel like I am treat like a princess, well actually like a queen"

I spoke of MY experience NOT others. Peace out and God bless!

Pataskala, OH
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

I was only in Punta Cana once and was not impressed. Bavaro Beach was lovely but I felt trapped in the resort and didn't feel like it had much personality. The Dominicans that I met were friendly but they are more reserved than the Jamaican people. Jamaica has it's own special vibe and you really know you are in a different culture whereas I could have been just about anywhere when I was staying in the all-inclusive in the DR.

I can't comment on all-inclusives in Negril as we always stay at smaller, boutique hotels. I just think it is more "fun" in Negril and in my opinion, they have better food and music. That merengue and salsa music got on my nerves:)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

Actually MTB you spoke of your experience at CSS not CN.

Again, I did not mean any offensive.

Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: HELP!!! Punta Cana vs. Negril Jamaica for Anniversary

To the OP, I would ask the same question on the TA Punta Cana site to see there side, then make your choice......