We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

california
Level Contributor
414 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

So we FINALLY booked our tickets to Negril in August....for the first time, i really looked at the breakdown of the fees on the receipt (we are flying Continental)...OH MY LORD! here's how it broke down (this is minus the American taxes and Immigration fees) per person...

Sept. 11th Security Fee... 7.50

Jamaica Passenger Service and Security...10.32

Jamaica Airport Improvement Fee...5.00

Jamaica Tourism Enhancement Fee...10.00 ( ??? I don't get this one AT ALL ??? )

Jamaica Passenger Facility Charge...2.50 (i don't even know what this MEANS)

Jamaica Travel Tax...21.00

Are these standard or is this a Continental Airline thing??

United States
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

They are all standard for a trip to Jamaica. They are all a tax of one type or another. None of the fees listed go to Continental or any other airline.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

Kinda like breaking down a cell phone bill, event tickets, etc. I don't even bother to look anymore.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

They are standard for just about every place you travel. Our tickets to Roatan Honduras in April were breathtaking.....and not in a nice way!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

Fees and taxes are all determined by the airport you depart from and arrive to... Toronto Pearson has some of THE highest fees in the industry... I've seen $49 flights to Jamaica out of Pearson... After taxes these flights are in the range of $323+. It's almost disgusting!

Chelle

Edited: 09 June 2011, 22:14
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

And it's a little easier to see why airlines are cutting every corner they can and still falling short... And to the discontent of their customers who are paying more and getting less!

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

The Vinnie is right. 'None of the fees listed go to Continental or any other airline'. Taxes make up a substantial part of the full cost of your airline ticket.

Fees and taxes between Jamaica and the UK are high. The 'green tax' charged on all flights is higher to Jamaica thanto the US west coast, although the higher taxed journey is a far shorter distance.

I seem to recall reading in the Gleaner recently that the Jamaica Tourism Enhancement Fee may be increased to $20. 100% increase.

It's possible that the Jamaica Airport Improvement Fee is only charged at Montego Bay, not Norman Manley, Kingston. The fee is charged by the private company that manages MBJ.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

My "free" frequent flyer tix to Jamaica cost me about $200 per ticket in taxes and fees. My "free" frequent flyer ticket to Paris cost me $400. Ain't no thing as a free lunch.

8. Re: The fees to Jamaica OH MY LORD!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 04:17