We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril and walking around?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Topic
Negril and walking around?

Ok so I think I might want to go to Negril this December, couples or sandals , but now hubby wants to know " is it like runaway bay and we couldn't just walk out the hotel and hang out, eat and shop, like in we did in cancun and playa" I do no you can't compare Jamaica to Mexico, I get bashed everytime I mention them together. I guess what I want to know where the shopping,bars etc are and is there resorts close by. We hate being confined to the hotel and having to pre-plan outings and cabs! Thanks!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril and walking around?

Negril is much smaller scale when it comes to shopping vs playa... There are plenty of restaurants, stroll down the beach will find many things but nothing like 5th ave in pdc

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril and walking around?

If you are staying at Couples Swept Away you can stroll to numerous places along the main beach and hang out. If staying at Sandals Negril or Couples Negril there is nothing of consequence nearby. Look for the map in www.negrilinfo.com

Edited: 04 July 2011, 16:03
Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril and walking around?

The central shopping area is quite a distance from Sandals and Couples. You can stroll the beach and see locals set up with trinkets and such, but a cab ride is necessary to hit the main shopping area.

Click to download a map of Negril

www.negril.com/2/maps/negril-jamaica-map.html

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril and walking around?

Beat me by 2 min.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril and walking around?

No, Neegril simply doesn't have an big active concentrated center, like you find in Playa del Carmen or PV where all the shops and restaurants are on a grid of downtown blocks. Because it's stretched out along the road (beach to cliffs) that's just part of the charm of Negril. You don't have to feel "confined" to the hotel because of the layout, just walk out and catch a taxi (learn to use the "route taxi" system for 100jmd per person). If you want to do more walking, choose a resort that's close in on 7-mile beach, not so far out. suze

6. Re: Negril and walking around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 17:05
Edited: 04 July 2011, 17:05
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril and walking around?

I personally did not like walking around Cancun. I think Blues Pirate makes a good point. If you are on the Long Bay section of Seven Mile Beach, there is more to see and and do as you walk along the beach. The Bloody Bay portion is quieter and more relaxed with less to see and do on the 2 mile or so stretch of that beach. I especially enjoy walking the beach around sunset. It is truly magical.

Use caution and avoid walking along the beach at night as has been pointed out here several times recently. There are portions of it that are not lit well which in any place is an opportunity to put yourself at risk.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril and walking around?

One of my favorite things about Couples Swept Away is the location. It is a great " home" base to leave your stuff and walk along the beach.I have stayed in Playa Del Carmen, but MUCH more enjoyed walking the beach in Negril. Also, I do walk the beach alone during the day. I prefer the Negril beach on long bay because when you go to the left of CSA there are no more All inclusive resorts ( other then Merrils which is small and I think can be AI), instead, small hotels, beach bars and shops, a very different atmosphere. I have stayed at Reef Playacar and Royal Hidaway in Playa del carmen, feel free to ask any questions in comparison.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril and walking around?

thanks for your help and maps! its going to be a tough sell to my hubby as we were completely bored in dec 2009 at BRB, granted we did want to see jamaica, hubby didnt want to spend a lot of $$$ on scuba, and BRB was in our budget at the time, but honestly he doesnt want to go back to jamaica beacause of runaway bay, because to leave the resort was a hassle, with cab fares and it was pretty far (for us ) to ocho to shop, eat off resort and drink! i am the computer/ TA stalker /vacation planner and I KNOW negril is nothing like runaway bay! what all-inclusive adults only with scuba included in walking distance to places to hang out (preferably beach bars-we love em') do you recommend? i know, i know, a lot of requirements, but if i cant convice him to go to negril, its going to be st. lucia, which is ok , but i think it might be TOO quiet, or we are going back to playa-- which i love, but there is a whole world to see!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril and walking around?

Still sounds like CSA would be your best bet. Includes scuba,great location, walking distance to the beach bars and restaurants, and plenty of dining options at the resort. I think CSA is the only couples only or adults only resort in Negril that matches all your requirements.