We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Cards in Negril

Lake Isabella
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Credit Cards in Negril

Good Day everyone, wondering if anyone has any info. Am staying at Beach House Villas soon, don't really like to travel with credit card. My trip is prepaid and Villas says credit card for incidentals like safe and such. Do you know if they accept cash deposits or debit cards for this,have been unable to reach hotel for this info. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Traveling.

United States
Level Contributor
12,216 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

and

http://negril-hotels.com/negril-faq_s.html#i

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

If you don't like using a credit card then I definitely would recommend against using a debit card in Jamaica. Take cash. There shouldn't be any problem using cash for a deposit at the hotel.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

Remember to let your bank know there may be foreign transactions on your debit card during your travel dates. Have fun!

Ashland, Virginia
Level Contributor
772 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

The only place i use my cc is at the hotel and the HI LO to buy food

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

We only travel with our CC as the main purchasing format. In Jamaica they are accepted most everywhere. We only carry a minimal amount of cash, alot safer.

I would definately just contact the hotel you are staying at and ask them what they accept. Most of the hotels and resorts require a CC.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

I've stayed at BHV 2-3 times and never had any issue with it, I give them my card imprint and they give it back when I leave.

If anything funny shows up on your card call your CC company, you aren't liable for fraudulent charges.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

Credit cards are insured, and you are not liable for fraudulent charges.

I always use my cc when traveling in jamaica and elsewhere, never had an issue

Edited: 21 July 2011, 00:50
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

I don't like to use my credit cards in Jamaica. I had my number lifted there once and once was enough!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

Rasta, I guess that can happen anywhere. My wife had her CC lifted too, right here in Minnesota. But we still use our cc's here. You are also protected by the card company if something happens, as others have said.

We have used our cc's in Jamaica many times, the Bahamas, several European countries, ect. No problem, just the one time right here at home!

Chicago
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Cards in Negril

The only time I have ever used my cc in Jamaica is at the hotel to give it to check in for incidentals.

I never use it at restaurants, stores, etc.

I believe there have been lots of threads discussing this, in one thread I recall multiple people having large cash advances taken out after using their cards in Jamaica.

I'm sure many people have no problems and carrying lots of cash is also a safety issue I suppose but personally I bring down about $600 wort of jamaican and get more cash at atms if i need it.

as for people saying cards are insured don't worry. not all cards are the same, some cards you wont be liable at all but other cards your responsible for say the first $500 charged. sure thats greater than you haing to pay for 5,000 of fraudulant cash advance charges but you still lose $500. also the headache of sitting on hold, calling cc company, filling out paperwork, etc just isn't worth it for me.