We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for younger females?

jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Safe for younger females?

I'm thinking of going to Jamaica to celebrate my 21st birthday and I'm taking a friend along with me who is my same age. We're both girls. We are planning to go to Negril and fly into Montego. I was thinking about staying at xtabi resort and don't plan to travel outside of the tourist areas unless a hotel driver can safely take us. Neither would classify as well traveled and I've never been outside of the US before, but I've been to many places in the US on solo trips so I'm aware of the basic dangers. We're also not stupid, so we're not planning to pick up random men or get blackout drunk or anything.

I've been reading up on things and there are a lot of people who say it's pretty safe and a lot of people who say it isn't. I know I have enough sense to keep myself out of unnecessary trouble, but I'm worried about being directly targeted. Opinions or advice please

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe for younger females?

Are you looking for affrmation or information?

It seems that you have things well covered. Anything anyone can post at this point will be a repeat of everything you have already read. If in doubt type 'safety' in the search window above your post.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 16:09
Florida
Level Contributor
414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe for younger females?

You will be quite safe there. Young women will draw a lot of attention, especially outside the resort, but it won't be anything worse than annoying. Stick close to the resort at night (don't go wandering in dark, unpopulated areas) and you'll be fine. Take a cab if you want to go out to a club.

Don't be afraid to leave the resort though. The street scene in that area is vibrant, colorful, and a great fun. Be prepared for men to offer their companionship (and various and sundry other things), but no is always a perfectly acceptable answer (even if it has to be repeated a few times). And it's worse the first time you hit the street as hustlers can smell fresh blood. But it is not dangerous as long as you don't invite danger by going off to strange places with unknown people or do similarly unwise things.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe for younger females?

Only travel in "red" license plated taxis as those are the official & licensed ones. In JA many people will stop & play taxi & that is equal to jumping in a strangers car which obviously you would not consider or do any where else

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe for younger females?

watch for the male types trying to get your attention and favor...

Enjoy yourself and be as social as you feel comfortable, but remember if you're talking to someone and they are saying all the right things and it seems to feel too natural, it's probably because they have LOTS of practice... ;) eyes wide open!

Enjoy

Chelle

5. Re: Safe for younger females?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 July 2011, 16:57
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe for younger females?

I was 22 on my first trip and stayed on the cliffs as well - in a small guest house. You'll have a great time it seems you have the common sense down. Continue to read up on safety tips (i.e., don't walk anywhere at night in dimly lit areas, don't carry a lot of cash or credit cards on you as you move about) - staying at Xtabi will give you a great opportunity to explore and get to know the culture. Enjoy!

Hatteras Island...
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe for younger females?

It's nice to have a taxi driver you can count on. Someone you can call to take you to the beach area or shopping and pick you up at a certain time. I've always been able to count on Orando (876-455-5214). He is a good guy and he can take you to places like canoe bar to have something to eat and sit on the beach.

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe for younger females?

Xtabi is a beautiful and safe location based on your descriptions. We have daughters just a bit older than you and they've gotten around just fine.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,225 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe for younger females?

You sound sensible and Xtabi will be a great location and place for you to stay. Like you've already mentioned just be wise about who you make 'friends' with and drinking. Don't go off with anyone. After dark I'd use taxis to get around (not be wandering along the west end road). I'm guessing you will have a fabulous first experience :) suze

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe for younger females?

don't think...plan it!

agree with all of the above! Be mindful of what goes on and be safe. Most of all enjoy your 1st trip to Jamaica and happy 21st! What a way to celebrate!

My good friend Mark Munroe is a lic taxi driver (safe & reliable) if you need on to pick you up at airport, take you on excursions and out a night-876-467-4819.

PEACE!