We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos?????

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dayton,ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos?????

Are the insects really that bad in Negril? Does it depend on the season? I would think the tropical breezes would keep most of them on the move. Just wondering?

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos?????

The bugs are not that bad, sand fleas on the beach at dusk and dawn and some mosquitoes if there has been rain but really not that bad (much worse at home!) I can not use DEET and have never had many bug problems in Negril and we have been there in Jan/Feb/April and July

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos?????

I agree.

Mosquitos in Canada are ferocious compared to Jamaica ! I find they don't bother me at all there...

Blessings and respect.

Steve

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos?????

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k45477…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos?????

must try the lemon remedy...just had to do that for Zoggy.

Negril
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos?????

Thankyou Kab.....you see........it'll work....and thanks for the good wishes...

I'm back and RESPECT XXX

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos?????

It depends on your blood. I, unfortunately, have blood the mosquitos love. I always laugh when people post that they aren't bad. Well, I'd be happy to trade them for my blood. LOL

In my 7 trips and more than 80 days in Negril, there is not a day that I did not get at least one, usually multiple, mosquito bites. I've been in May, July, November, and Christmas/New Years.

I've tried every remedy suggested, I use 100% deet, I've purchased special soap, tried natural remedies and oils, you name it, I've tried it. Doesn't matter, they go for me and I just have to live with it. I'll be sitting next to people who aren't bothered at all while I get one bite after another 2 feet away.

So my answer to your question is this... if you have blood that the mosquitos like at home, you'll have the blood they're attracted to in JA. Be as prepared as you can. Bring 100% deet and carry Benedryl creme 2%. I find that if I can get that on as soon as possible, it helps immensely. I carry it with me everywhere.

Wynyard, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos?????

I too am loved by mosquitos and they find me anywhere I go! Husband says I am great to have along as bait. Haven't tried the lemon juice yet tho Zoggy! Next reach for sure.....great to see you back.

dayton,ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos?????

OK, I give - What's the lemon remedy?

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
848 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos?????

As stated above it depends on you. Personally the mosquitoes don't bother me but the sand fleas love me. I come home looking like a leper. I recently tried the pure lemon juice as an insect repellent while camping and it worked. Just go prepared and hope you don't need anything.

Enjoy Negril!!!

Negril
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos?????

Fresh lemon juice sprayed on yer skin!!!!!!....and if you want....all over!!!! keeps ALL the little fekkers away!!!!

Tried and tested by the British Army!!!!...not to mention........ me!!!!!!

RESPECT XXX