We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sand fleas

california
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
sand fleas

I keep hearing about these pesky sand fleas and everyone getting bit up but only on the riu negril property i have been in the caribbean and never got bit by sand fleas, mosquitos yes but not fleas please share on how not to get bit i am vulnerable to bug bites i do carry spray thanks beecool......

Windsor
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sand fleas

We've been to negril a few times, in bloody bay.

The only time my gf got bit, and bit bad was when we walked from Riu TB to Riu Negril at night.

The rest of the time we were fine.

I got maybe 1 bite, she had like 20.

california
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sand fleas

when did you go to negril and why can't they spray the beaches i guess i won't be walking on the beach at night i heard they have a beach party sunday night at riu negril thanks beecool....

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sand fleas

beecool...oh, they can't spray the beaches, gross! Many of the big hotels use exterminators to keep down the other bugs (cockroaches, ants and mosquitos to some extent) around and in the buildings, but you can't obliterate ALL the life on the beach.

Take your bug spray and get off the beach at around 4:00pm...that's when the sand fleas come out.

The sand fleas are everywhere on the beach, at the RIU, on the 7 mile beach, at my secret beach...they are not picky about which property they hang out at.

I'm sure they have them on other islands...maybe this particular bug doesn't bite you?

Pineville, NC
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sand fleas

Sand fleas are on all beaches where there's sand... (especially the Outer Banks, NC). I've found using a product called Cactus Juice to be very effective against them. Hope this helps! Have fun :)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sand fleas

I have found that sand fleas are only an issue in early morning and evening on the seven mile beach. In the morning I'm usually lounging in a chair with my feet up so they aren't a problem. If I am going for a walk to a restaurant for dinner I just spray my ankles with normal bug spray. It works fine.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sand fleas

hello,

wondering about the 'early morning and evening'

we're getting married at 10am on the beach so are we going to have to worry about the sand fleas?

no big deal if yes - we'll just have to remember to spray our feet.

Thanks Nali.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sand fleas

This REALLY is no big deal. I mean they are just little no-see-ums.

By early morning I mean like 8:00. But if you think you want to be safer than sorry (or in this cas a little itchy) just spray a little on your ankles.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sand fleas

hey thanks

I think I may use some spray...wouldn't want to be bending over scratching my ankles during the wedding...lol

Nali.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sand fleas

Just so you know, you won't feel them biting anyway and they don't really become itchy until you return home, maybe because of the lower humidity.

Idaho
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sand fleas

Haven't been to Jamaica, but the bites I have gotten in Mexico I was told to put a dab of clear fingernail polish over the bite and it will stop itching and go away...it worked for me, but it would be better to use the bug spray to prevent them:)