We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from CSA- Questions?

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from CSA- Questions?

Just back from CSA, had a Great Time !

Stayed in the Atrium room, first time had a room with a garden view, instead of ocean- and my husband and I loved it ! The location was close to the beach, more private setting, and enjoyed the beautiful gardens. The building we stayed in had just been completely redone the week before we arrived, so not one complaint about anything in the room.

They were doing lots of maintenance at the resort, they did not bother anyone, but new a/c installed in all the rooms, lots of rooms getting new mattresses, most building getting repainted, and lots of planting. I did sit with the manager at the repeaters dinner, and he said the lobby is scheduled to be remodeled ( he was unsure of a date). He said they are getting rid of the green and decorating it with lots of bright colors.

The service in all the restaurants was the best be EVER experienced at Couples, not a single problem with dining.

One very surprising thing about this trip were the large number of honeymooners. I am not exaggerating when I say about 75% if the couples were on their honeymoon. We found out the reason is the date. The date 9-10-11, ended up having the largest number of weddings on a single date ( according to the new brides ). The resort was between 50 - 75% occupancy.

Any questions, just ask.

Edited: 19 September 2011, 22:37
Ontario
Level Contributor
663 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

This is our first time going to Jamaica so we are very excited. We have already booked for April . CSA was recommended by friends who absolutely love it and have never returned to any other resort twice except for this one! I was wondering, do you have to make dinner reservations before your arrival via email? In the Dominican and Mexico, sometimes, if you didn't make reservations in advance of your arrival the restaurants were all full and you were at the buffet every night. Also, we have booked a beachfront verandah suite (as recommended) and are looking so forward to this room. We have had some very bad experience in other countries where hotels overbook their best rooms and on arrival we find out the we have been downgraded or even worse moved to another hotel- have you heard of these things happening at Couples Resorts and do you think it would it help to email the hotel in advance to our arrival to confirm our room category? Also, would you recommend any excursions outside of the resort?

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

Dinner reservations can only be made once you arrive at the resort. Once you check in head to the concierge desk and make reservations for Feathers and Lemongrass. Right now you also have to make reservations for Patios Restaurant, but my understanding that will cease when it is no longer " slow season".

Once you have ate at one of the reservation restaurant you can rebook if wanted. You will usually not have a problem eating at each reservation restaurant 2x's each during a week stay ( menu will change once during the week). Patios and the Palms , the other 2 dinner options, are not buffets, but menu restaurants also. The Palms will have s salad, fruit, and soup bar in addition to the menu. Not a huge fan of the Palms for dinner, but I did enjoy their preparation of the Grilled Lobster. Patios ended up being our favorite restaurant this trip. There is also a beach grill open most of the day.

Couples does not allow room requests or restaurant reservations before arrival. It never hurts to confirm room reservations before arrival.

I have occasionally heard of overbooking of a room style ( not overbooking at the resort, never heard of that). They are usually able to get you in the correct room the next day, and they make up for it with resort credits.

Do not book too many excursions. You will be surprised once you hit the beach, how " sand gravity " takes effect. Our friends did the Dolphin Cove this week and they had a great time. Also, Mayfield Falls is highly recommended. Some younger couples did the zipline, and enjoyed it. Remember, Couples provides free basic scuba, snorkeling, glass bottom boats, water skiing, wake boarding, hobie cats, and catamaran cruise. I have talked to numerous couples who made the decision to cancel excursions once at the resort.

I am sure you will have a great time. Couples Swept Away is also the ONLY AI resort in the Caribbean or Mexico that we have visited more then once.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

Sand gravity...I love it! I saw you discussing the activities schedule at CSA in another thread and had a quick question. Do you recall seeing a running group or anything of that nature? I love to run and am excited to use the track, but I'd really like to meet up with a running group or meet up for a run at a particular time if Couples offers that. One of the resorts I visited in Cancun had this and it was fantastic. I'm running a marathon two weeks before our trip and another four weeks after and I'll probably want to run at least 8 miles. Running 32 laps on the running track doesn't sound as appealing as running with a group. :)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

Also, did you miss the tv or was it a welcome escape to be tv-less? We are staying in a beachfront suite and I'm curious to see how we'll do without a tv! We aren't big watchers so it should be too bad.

Can't WAIT...we are SO looking forward to our CSA trip!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

I have copy of the Sports Complex activities and I do not see a running group. I see plenty of people running on the beach every morning. It would be very easy to run 8 miles on the beach. I went for a walk most mornings at 0630, and there were plenty or runners. There is a Boot Camp, Par course Challenge, and personal training offered at the Sports Complex. The jogging trail at the Sports Complex is 1/2 mile.

We love not having a TV during our trips to CSA. First resort we ever visited without a TV, and we never knew how much we would like it. My husband did do a little catching up on sporting events while we were at the Sports Complex bar. Room requests can not be made before arrival, but the Beachfront Suites with only 3 in a building look like they are the nicest.

You will find many healthy options to eat and drink at all the restaurants , to help you with your training. Any other questions, just ask.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 02:05
uk
Level Contributor
505 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

Glad you had a lovely time..

On another note..how's the beach doing.

We go every October and was shocked last year to see the damage that the previous storm had done to the shoreline (stayed next door at Beaches)

Is it recovering yet? We leave in 4 weeks.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

I am thrilled that they are renovating rooms as ours in August really needed work. Nice to learn about lobby upgrades as well.

The beach was superb in August and has always been one of my favorites in the Caribbean.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

I agree with caviargal beach is excellent! It is not as wide as before last October's storm, but... better imo ( and many repeaters at the resort were all in agreement about liking the beach better). They have done LOTS of planting along the beach walk way, plenty more shade. Also, I personally preferred it slightly more narrow, because you did not feel like you were so far from the ocean while sitting under the trees . The beach is still plenty wide, and still the nicest stretch of beach on long bay. Also, they have extended the swimming area, made it wider and more long. The manager said this was done to make it easier to get away from the jet ski guys. Not one complaint about the beach. I never even stepped foot in the pool this trip, except for water aerobics.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

NorwegianMama, thanks for your update on CSA. We are going back for our second trip in 16 days and can't wait!

Hopefully the lobby renos aren't taking place when we're there.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from CSA- Questions?

Glad to hear they are updating