We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Ellston, Ia
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchange

When you get to Jamaica and go to a bank to get Jamaican dollars, do you need cash to do that?

I am just trying to figure out how much cash in US dollars in need to bring with me.

Also, does my ATM card work in Jamaica?

Thanks,

United States
Level Contributor
11,919 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

Banks will take your cash (bank notes) or your travelers checks.

How much cash you need to take depends on your spending pattern in Jamaica. On my last trip to an all inclusive resort in Negril I changed $US20 to Jamaican dollars. I came home with some of the Jamaican currency. Other people need to take hundreds of US dollars in cash plus use an ATM several times and spend it all.

Most ATM cards work well in Jamaica. The best cards to take have the Visa or MasterCard logo. Check with your bank to see that your card has been 'activated' to work outside the US.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,581 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange

Suggest you do arrive in Jamaica with about US$20 in ones and another US$20 in fives for arrival tipping.

Most of the ATMs in Negril deliver JA$ and a few will deliver US$ ($20, which is difficult to use as they are generally to large of a denomination).

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,195 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange

We are usually at A.I. and don't need too much actual cash. However, everyone seems to be more then happy to take US dollars.

Otherwise, for things other then tips, we use our CC's.

4. Re: Currency Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 12:18