We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

I have been researching Jamaica for months & have decided to stay @ Rhodes Resort. This will be my 1st trip to Jamaica. If anyone has spent the day on a pass to take part in activites or booked a room - please fill me in.

Thanks,

Watergirllovesfish

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

I've never stayed at Rhodes Hall but have been there a few times. Its a lovely place. Originally it was known for its horseback riding excursions (they have a horse stable on the property) but have since expanded to include renting rooms and villas.

I hear the snorkeling there is amazing, some of the best in the area these days (since a lot of fish habitat has been ruined due to development over the years).

You probably know this but it bears repeating - Rhodes Hall is about 10 minutes outside of Negril - about a 10-15 minute cab ride to downtown. So if you are looking for less hustle and bustle its a great place for you. I'm fairly certain they work with drivers that will take you where you want to go should you want to leave the property. As a first timer I would encourage you to do so - spend time on Long Bay Beach, head up to the cliffs and take advantage of the many wonderful restaurants in Negril.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I had so many different people talking me out of going to Jamaica. Me & my husband travel with friends to many of our Caribbean destinations. Not one single person wanted to join us in Jamaica! When doing research on Negril, I stumbled across Rhodes Resort. Some of the reviews on Trip Advisor in regards to Rhodes are not situations that would make me upset. Rhodes looks like a peaceful place that will provide us with awesome snorkeling & the r & r we need. We do intend to leave the property to do a handful of the activities that are unique to the area. Citronella looks like a great place to stay on the cliffs. That may be the next trip to Jamaica. Have a great day!

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

If you have read the reviews, I'm sure you read mine. The property was amazing, snorkeling terrrific. My only issue was with the management. As it has been a few years since we stayed there, I would hope they have ironed out the issues we had. All in all we enjoyed Rhodes Hall. I do feel like the food was overpriced and not the best we have had in Jamaica.

We stayed in the front unit of the Sunshine Building and loved the room, with the peacocks peaking in each morning.

Enjoy your trip!

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

Our friends stayed and we have visited. They said it is the kind of place to escape and really enjoyed it although they are going back for just a few nights and spending more nights at CoCo La Palm.

The food is a pricier than most places we go to in Negril but our friends thought it was good (Feb 10)

It really is a beautiful property and I am sure you will enjoy it...spend a day on 7 mile and some time in the cliffs to get a feel for Negril and that will help you decide for next time. If you like Citronella I would suggest checking out Banana Shout - right next to Rick's. The rates are lower and Dolphin View and Dolphin Bay cottages are amazing!

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

I did see Banana Shout & thought about checking that property out for my next trip. My excitement is building in regards to our travels to Negril. Thanks for telling me about your friends experience.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

Enjoy!! - Negril is an amazing place for us..took my hubby some convincing to go on a beach vacation..was originally planning Mayan Riviera and ended up in Negril..that was in April 2008 and now booked for our 6th trip for Feb, 2012.

If you have any questions, would be happy to help out.

We have stayed in 5 or 6 different places (beach and cliffs),tried many restaurants, rent scooter.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

I love Trip Advisor! Thank-you for all the information on Negril. I really have a good feeling about this trip. The entire reason I am avoiding the 7 mile beach is due to the vendors. When I was researching where to stay in JA - Rhodes appeared to be a quiet little place with awesome snorkeling & off the beaten path. The way I feel about vacation depending on my mood is generally adventure and relaxation. I think that Rhodes is going to fit the bill. Of course I want to check out the cliffs, falls, and local restaurants in Negril. Half moon beach is on my list as well! Cute little place with cabins to rent. Have you ever felt unsafe in Jamaica? I'd like to know about that. Throw out your fav restaurant in Negril for me too!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

It's really too bad that the vendors on the beach frighten people off. I don't stay there or go there that often so I can't say if its mountain-out-of-molehill stuff...I know when I do go there I'm not bothered by them at all.

Half Moon Beach is wonderful and right next door to Rhodes Hall:

…wordpress.com/2011/…

The restaurants I love most are Sips and Bites, Ivans and LTU and they are all on the cliffs.

I would not at all recommend you renting a scooter, especially since this is your first visit. The staff at Rhodes Hall know many drivers that can take you off property or you can try your hand at the route taxi system. (Tons of info on that on here - just search "route taxi"). Where you are staying is on a major highway (not right on it but that's the road you'd be driving) - cars go very fast, scooters can't keep up with traffic plus its all left-hand drive.

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

Have NEVER felt unsafe! Travel smart just like you would in the states and you will be fine. Favorite Restaurants: Firefly for breakfast, the Jerk Chicken Guy in front of Shamrock Market, Sweet Spice (family style), 3-Dives is a must (Cliffs) Favorite Beach Bar: Sun Beach, next to Coco La Palm and the Bar @ Whistling Bird (by Fun Holiday) Miss Lilly makes the best blended rum drinks on the beach! You may want to check out the bar @ The Wild Parrot. Just opened so I haven't had the pleasure yet.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Information or your experience @ Rhodes Resort

Hi! Good to hear from you Rasta girl! I don't want to sound disrespectful about the vendors on 7 mile beach. I understand they are doing the best they can to survive. I respect all people regardless of class or race. Maybe I should have spoken a bit differently about being hassled. We are ( me & my husband) a bit exhausted from life and work and want to go reconnect on a private beach. Thanks for the advice. Yes, Half Moon Beach is going to be one of our stops! Looks like heaven to me. Can't wait to snorkel @ Half Moon Beach & eat Lobster.

Best wishes,

Watergirllovesfish