We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shells on the beach?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shells on the beach?

Are there any shells on the beach in Negril?

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shells on the beach?

Can't remember many.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
241 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shells on the beach?

I got a ton on the beach at Couples Negril last Christmas.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shells on the beach?

If there's a storm in the night you can get some nice shells the next morning if you're up early to walk the beach.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
249 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shells on the beach?

stayed on Bloody Bay, lots of shells to be found in the morning

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shells on the beach?

If you walk waaaaaay down the main 7 mile beach towards the AI resorts, once you get past Cosmos restaurants there are usually many empty conch shells, often in piles. Many of them are damaged but you may find some that look good enough to take home.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shells on the beach?

there are some shells and corals and nice rocks. I make/sell crafts from what I bring from Jamaica...between my 40lbs of coffee and shell/rock/coral/sand- I pay an overage fee :)

most of what I bring is not found in Negril

If you go on any excursions be sure to stop at cove beachs along the way...you will find all kinds of things! I even have some sea glass that I got in Belmont!

PEACE!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shells on the beach?

I want to add that due to the storms over the years many corals/rock/shells have lost their vibrant colors (coral life is now rebleaching)

Many now have oil residue especailly in Negril due to the influx of jet skis/boats etc...

I have found that problem from coast to coast. Years ago each coral I would find would have hot pink all over and now it's a find if you can get one of those.

PEACE!

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shells on the beach?

We have found tons of Conch shells (Medium and Small) after storms and out in about 1 foot of water.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shells on the beach?

Because the beaches are raked and clean by the hotels there are usually not too many shells or rocks to be found. The conch shells that YG is referring to are probably discarded shells from restaurants who have harvested the conch. I used to find conch shells in various conditions at Little Bloody Bay which unfortunately, does not exist anymore.

The shells and rocks and sea glass I find are usually all from Half Moon Beach. They keep the beach "natural" and part of a natural beach are the shells and rocks that wash a shore.

For a great beach-combing experience as well as a chill day on a quiet local beach check them out - Half Moon Beach , about a ten minute cab ride from Long Bay:

…wordpress.com/2011/…

10. Re: Shells on the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:15