We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is rum $$$$$$$ to buy in Negril?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is rum $$$$$$$ to buy in Negril?

I've read that wine and bourbon are expensive but what about rum? Exactly how much is it b/c I'm going to be making my own frozen drinks in a blender. It doesn't have to be top notch but not the crappiest stuff, either. I've heard lots of good stuff about Appleton (is that what it's called?)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is rum $$$$$$$ to buy in Negril?

Appleton Rum is about $10.00 for a 750mL bottle. I love the rum, especially the Appleton White Rum.

madison wi
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is rum $$$$$$$ to buy in Negril?

Buy your booze at the mo bay airport it is alot cheeper than in the us. You would pay half of what we pay here

Mississippi
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is rum $$$$$$$ to buy in Negril?

Is it cheaper to buy Appleton is MoBay than in Negril? If it's 10 bucks in Negril, I'll just wait til I get there. If not, I'll certainly buy in MoBay.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is rum $$$$$$$ to buy in Negril?

Totally wait until you get to Negril. I'd venture to say the rum is the same price in Negril as it is in MoBay.

Indiana
Level Contributor
961 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is rum $$$$$$$ to buy in Negril?

It is cheaper in Mobay when you leave, but that's at the duty free shops that you access after you check in on your flight home...so..when you get to Negril stop at the Hi-lo or supermarkets to get your rum...just there in February, costs around $3-15 depending on what you want......but that would probably be the best way to go....

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is rum $$$$$$$ to buy in Negril?

Ok! From your question it is not clear at to what you are asking: (1) Run in Negril or (2) Run to bring home??? Now, if it is for Negril, in your room and you are bringing a blender, etc., then go to Hi-Low or a little store right on the ocean and as you make the turn to go up the West End Road. They have really good prices and are lower than Hi-Low. It is the first or only store on the right when you turn toward the West End Road. Now if you are talking about bringing rum to the US (not us), then get it at the duty free at Mo-Bay. If you are two people, then get some 5 bottles in 2 boxes at the Duty Free. It will cost you a fraction of the cost in the US. Also, remember that the White Rum is Overrproof, ergo, 150proof. Be very careful with this stuff, it is 2X stronger than other rums. Also, Appleton make a really great, great product and I fully recommend it. Go have a good time and I hope I answered some of your questions.