We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

We were thinking of bringing back some large (?conch?) shells from the guy who walks 7 Mile Beach saying "shellllls, shellls...."

Has anyone ever had problems getting these shells past Customs in either JA or the US?

If there are still "critters" in them when bought, has anyone had success in getting them out without stinking up the hotel room?

Thanks in advance for any insight....

Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

just brought back two big conch shells in my suitcase amongst our clothes.. no problem at all!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

Conch shells in Negril are not likely to be fresh as the bay was illegally harvested some years ago and the creatures are very slow in coming back. Before the harvest, I would see dozens and dozens on a 60 foot dive of 40 minutes. Now I am lucky to see one.

So if you do buy from that beach vendor, it is not likely to be freshly caught, at least in Negril. If it does stink, some chlorine into the shell will cure that and be sure you get the little piece of the animal out of the shell after the chlorine soaking.

Use olive oil spray to keep it looking shiny.

jamaica
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

The best thing to get out the sting is rum, the Jamaica white rum.

jamaica
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

The best thing to get out the stink is rum, Jamaica white rum.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

we have very recently returned from Negril, with smaller conch shells in our case( collected ourselves from the beach after stormy weather) No problems at the Airport or customs...but when unpacking the shells one of them still had a hermit crab inside...even though the shells had been in our room for 2 days before leaving!!!..be wary !

Boston...
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

Thank you all for the feedback - We're so looking forward to returning to Negril!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

I brought a shell home about twenty years ago. Two months ago my daughter was playing with it and a crab fell out! It never smelled, though.

Maryland
Level Contributor
814 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

Oh my goodness...when we were there last January, my hubby retrieved a beautiful conch. He was certain he could get the little guy out. First, he would set it in the sun and let it dry up. All it did was stink to the high heavens. So badly that we had to move it a few times because of the winds and stench. He tried for days to get the conch out. Think right before we left he accomplished this. But the thing stunk!!!

We even wrapped it in plastic, then a towel, then another towel...put it in our one carry on.

TSA at MBJ decided to check everyone's carry-on. She unzipped that bad boy, took one whiff, and quickly zipped it back up and moved us on.

Brampton
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

I picked up two from a vendor, and the whole way back on the plane, I was blaming my husbands feet for the stink.

The smell was disgusting.

I had them soaking in bleach, and eventually just left them outside for the winter. It was good to go after freezing.

new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing Conch Shells Back from Negril

"I picked up two from a vendor, and the whole way back on the plane, I was blaming my husbands feet for the stink."

That is tooooooo funny and something I would totally do....LOL!