We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

I just returned from a quick trip to Negril, Jamaica, and i wanted to share an absolute traveler's gem with anyone interested.

My girlfriend and i stayed at the Grand Pineapple Resort, which was quite nice, and we had airport transfers included in our price. What we didn't have was ground transportation to any excursion destination. We are independant world travellers, and we don't often rely on the big excursion companies affiliated with the resorts. We prefer the more private, customized, and affordable offerings to be found in most communities.

When we arrived we relied on good faith alone to find us a driver - we didn't spend any time researching before our trip - and as i mentioned earlier, we found an excellent driver who i think many people would be overjoyed to work with. Our driver and tour coordinator is a man named Ashton and his company is Art Concept Enterprise. He is the sole proprietor owner-operator of a comfortable van, and he is available to take people anywhere they want to go in Jamaica for about half the price of the "big guys."

I could not give Ashton a higher recommendation. Actually, after travelling all around the world, this is my first review/posting and his good service is what inspired this sharing. He really is one of the best-kept secrets in Negril. My friend and i met with him the night before, we talked over a price, and the next day he picked us up first thing in the morning and drove us on an eight-hour excursion to Nine Mile, hometown and final resting place of Bob Marley. Ashton will pick you up and take you any place you desire - airport transfers, tourist destinations, even around town.

Ashton's van is comfortable but is not a luxury liner. His prices are also around half of what you'd expect to pay from the hotel excursion companies, and he is also more inexpensive than the couple of small independant drivers we found in Negril. What you get instead of luxury is dollars saved, complete and total flexibility, a safe ride amongst the crazy Jamaicans on the road, and a Jamaican tour guide that you want to keep as a friend forever.

Ashton is like the Jamaican big brother/father all tourists should have! My travel companion and i are single women in our thirties, and having Ashton along as a guide was wonderful! He is very knowledgable, helped negotiate with the locals, and ensured our safety every minute. He even went so far as to wait outside of our hotel on his own dime for two hours for us to get cleaned up after we arrived back from our excursion in order to drive us safely to the night club we were going to spend the evening at! Such a truly kind soul!

I just had to share our experiences. I am in no way affiliated or related to Ashton or Art Concept Enterprise - just a fellow traveller who knows something good when they see it!

Contact info:

Ashton Pitt

ashtonepitt@yahoo.com

(876) 376-2174 (Jamaican number)

Tell him Julia and Denise from Washington, DC sent you!

Dudley's Big Ship Taxi and Tours
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Rocky's Taxi and Tour Services
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Joe Cool Taxi & Tours Jamaica
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Swim with Dolphins, Factory Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Luxurious Carib Tours and Taxi Jamaica
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
796 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

Thank you for the great info. I too, will be in Jamaica and will be looking for safe transport for my daughter and myself. I have emailed Ashton already! Thanks ladies!!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

Thank you for the great information. Is he a Red Plate, licensed driver?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

I am absolutely positive you will be overjoyed with his service, really and truly. It's like stepping off the plane in a strange country and already having someone with your back! From one world traveler to another, that is a valuable resource indeed.

And yes, he's totally legit - licensed with the tourist board, etc. I can't remember if he has a red plate or a charter plate - i don't remember which is which now. One is for taxis that can pick up a whole mess of people and take them up and down the beach, and the other is for private charter providers. Ashton is a private charter provider - he doesn't pick up people along the road and cram them in like sardines like the taxis do! - although he's happy to drive short distances too.

When i go back, which will be soon, i will use his services for tranfers to and from the airport into Negril, and i will hire him for any day trips. The local taxis are perfect (and like $1 US per person each way) for short trips up the road - although i guarantee Ashton would be happy to drive you wherever, no matter the length. Hope that helps!

Enjoy your trip! Jamaica nice, mon!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

Julia - What are some examples of what he charged you? Sounds like he's a great guy. What's he charge for a run to/from the airport or locally around the beach or cliffs?

Tnx!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

I sent him an e-mail yesterday after reading your review, we will be there for 2 weeks at Xmas time - so excited - I asked him if he's red plated but he hasn't responded yet.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

I just dug up his flyer from my mess of travel documents - as far as prices Ashton charges:

$10 USD per person round trip from the beach road to Rick's Cafe

$30 USD per person from the MBJ airport to Negril, two person minimum.

It is not a group ride, but a chartered private ride from airport to your hotel door. He states that all prices are negotiable and other fares are according to distance and waiting times.

When my friend and i asked around for prices for our trip to Nine Mile, which is three-four hours each way - a very long day, the hotel quoted us at $130 USD per person with a minumum of four people, which we didn't have. A few drivers we met on the side of the road told us they'd take us there for $160 USD total, which is quite a bit less - but we didn't get as good of vibes from them although i'm sure they would have been fine. Aston said he'd beat anyone's price (and he was instantly trustworthy and likable), he explained to us his gas expenses and asked us for fair compensation for his time - the price was therefore very negotiable. We paid for two inexpensive road-side meals for him, which he didn't ask for at all but we were incredibly grateful to share meals with him, compensated him fully for the gas, and gave him a good "tip" for his time. At the end of the day, we still paid around the same or a little less than the cheapest person we met on the side of the road, which included the two meals, gas, and "tip," and he was overjoyed - as were we!

I'm trying to go back around the winter holidays and i will be certainly using his services again. I am confident you all will have a similar experience.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

Thanks for the info, he sounds great, I just wish he would reply to my e-mail.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
796 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

I've since booked him in January (for a Treasure Beach to Negril run) and he responded promptly for both of my emails. Great price as well! Thanks JulieOnelove9 for the helpful information!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

Thanks, maybe he's just busy. I'm not terribly superstitious but I've been trying to find a reliable driver who isn't going to cost more than what is reasonable and then I saw this post - my daugther's name is Julia, I took that as a good omen - silly maybe, but

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellent Inexpensive and Safe Transportation

We've since booked him also for next week (for a Negril to Sandals whitehouse run) and he took couple days to respond for both of my emails. Indeed, good price as well! Thanks to the OP for the helpful information!