We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

Returned from Negril two weeks ago, stayed at Rooms Negril, lovely hotel right on the beach. Around our third day there I noticed that I had many bites mostly on the back of my legs. I didn't feel or see anything, well within a few more days my legs were covered, and also some on my arms, they were crazy itchy, worst bites I have ever had. My husbnad did not get one, so I am really curious if anyone can help me out with finding out what type of bites they might have been. Thanks in advance for any replies. I did notice another woman one day at the Time Square shopping area who had the same type of bites.

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

They are sand flea bites. You get them mostly in the evenings or after it rains. DON'T scratch them!!! They ooze and itch horribly. Use an anti itch cream and/or benadryl. They aren't anything to worry about, just a bit irritating. Next time either take bug spray with deet or pure lemon juice in a spray bottle.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

taunaj Thanks very much for the reply, that is exactly what they sounded like, as they were oozing and yes were very, very itchy. I will for sure take bug spray next time with me. Just surprised that my husband did not receive any bites...oh well lucky him I guess, thanks again.

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

Your welcome. My husband never gets very many and I look like I have chicken pox from the knees down.

Put the spray on before the sun goes down and keep it on even re-apply before bed.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

I always bring my wife along as bait. Never get bitten. ;-)

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

I bring my hubby along for shark bait while snorkeling! lol

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

If they are still bothering you get Calamine Lotion and apply with a Q-Tip. The Calamine now comes in a clear formula so you do not have to walk around with pink spots.

We were in Roatan Honduras last April and were eaten alive by the sand fleas. I literally stopped counting at 150 bites.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

I second the recommendation for calamine lotion. I got sand flea bites in Antigua last year and this was the only thing that made the itching bearable.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

P.S. I think men get fewer sand flea bites because they are more likely to be wearing long pants at night.

jamaica
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

If you have a little scrape on your feet, you will able to see them.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any ideas on what type of bug bites?

I've had a few of those sand flea experiences. It seems like I get a few of those bites everytime I go. One time in particular I had an experience much like yours. Not fun. I totally agree that scratching them seems to make them worse, but it is so hard NOT to scratch them. Calamine lotion sounds like a great idea for some relief.