We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril or ???

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
3 posts
Save Topic
Negril or ???

My husband and I have been to Couples Swept Away two years in a row and love it, but there are so many other islands I can't help but wonder if we should "travel" abit... We do love having the non-stop from Chicago to Montego Bay and used Tim Air to get to Negril last year (half excursion/half "get us there faster").

So seasoned travelers, what other caribbean islands have a comparable beach to Negril (beautiful, calm, clear, warm water)?

We have become fond of all inclusives otherwise I would book us for Anguilla based on what I've read or Bora Bora (if only we could afford it)... ;)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Beachbum2

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril or ???

i havent been but want to go to st. lucia, aruba, or turks and caicos. i loved punta cana for the long beautiful beaches and do nothing but lay in the sun, drink, and eat type of vacation. and although not an island we just returned from playa del carmen and it has a perfect mix of beautiful beaches, activities and restaurants and bars. we would be returning to PDC this december but the weather is too chilly for me, so some warmer jamaican sunshine will do, and it will be great ! good luck in your vacation search ! also huatulco mexico is on my bucket list for a pacific mexican coast vacation. (mazatlan was fun too !) how about a cruise? i get claustopobic, so thats def not an option !

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril or ???

Grand cayman is nice!!

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril or ???

Grand Anse Beach in Grenada is very comparable to Negril and there are several all Inclusives along it. I dont know how flights are from the US but once you are there, none of the Grand Anse resorts are more than 15 minutes from the airport. Grenada is very safe and the people are warm and friendly. We'll be staying at the Coyaba in February (have previously stayed at La Source, which is not on Grand Anse) and will post a trip report when we get back.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 08:34
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril or ???

Roatan Honduras, Antigua or St. Lucia would be my first choices. All are BEAUTIFUL!

boston
Level Contributor
103 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril or ???

Bayahibe DR has amazing beaches as well

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril or ???

Grace Bay Turks and Caicos.

Ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril or ???

Well for some reason I keep coming back to Negril. Other great places are Playa Del Carmen south of Cancun and the island of Cozumel. This is a great place to explore the Mayan ruins of Tulum and the piramids. Cuba has beautiful beaches but terrible food. Barbados has beautiful pink beaches if you stay in the gap. The draw back is that it is very expensive. I went to Punta Cana four times. Great beaches but I was not thrilled that if you did not speak spanish the people were not friendly and I got the terrible stomach thing there as you can't drink the water.

Montreal
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril or ???

''Barbados has beautiful pink beaches if you stay in the gap.'' What do you mean the gap? Is the water drinkable in Negril?

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril or ???

Fagana - in Negril you can drink the water straight from the tap.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril or ???

I wouldn't say the beaches in Roatan or St. Lucia are comparable to Negril. They're super nice, but not miles-long white powdered-sugar sand type beaches like Long Bay. Cozumel too from my limited visits there aren't similar, though the diving is superb.

Tulum has beaches like that, but without the hustle and hassle (and also without the liveliness - they're more snoozeville).

Anguilla is great and the beaches are super.... again, not as lively, but gorgeous in a more sleepy - and high-end, $50pp for lunch kinda way.