We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do i need to hire a taxi?

minnesota
Level Contributor
216 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
do i need to hire a taxi?

we are going to be staying at NBCC( first timers to jamaica) but hear things "quiet" down in the evening. if we are looking for more excitement Going to a nightclub or bar, do i need to hire a taxi that will keep us "safe" or can we walk around by ourselves? there will be 2 of us.

thanks for any feedback.

United States
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

In Negril there are few sidewalks and in some areas outdoor lighting is in short supply. Depending on where you are going, taking a taxi is probably the best option.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

During the day you can walk anywhere in the tourist areas. At night I would cab it just to be on the safe side, especially being new to Jamaica.

minnesota
Level Contributor
216 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

what is the average cost to hire a taxi for the night, or do i just hire for a ride to and from each place , we would like to check out?

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

If you are not alone, you can walk on the road (not the beach) at night - Alfreds or Bourbon Beach is easily walkable, the Jungle is a bit far - You typically would hire a taxi to bring you there and its easy enough to get one to go home - just be sure the taxi has a red license plate (means its licensed and insured as a taxi) and negotiate the price BEFORE you get in the cab. If the driver offers to wait for you, make sure you agree on a price first.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

The usual price to go to/from anywhere along the bech in a private taxi is $5 per couple 1-way. Many taxis will argue for more, but that's a reasonable and typical price for a 5-10 min drive.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

It just depends where exactly you want to go. As far as a taxi keeping you safe, it's more about the set up along the road, it's dark, sometimes a fair distance (a 10 min taxi ride is a pretty long walk) so more for the physical practicality of getting around easily, not that anyone is likely to harm you. I carry a tiny flashlight when I'm out at night. Again just so I can see where I'm walking.

suze

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
377 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

Also know that if you need a taxi after midnight the price goes up! Just found out the hard way, so do make sure you discuss price before you take the ride and only take the red plate's. Sometimes when you are walking, you might get asked if you want a ride and it's not a red plats,so always check.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

We stayed at NBCC last year and walked to Bourbon Beach (twice) and Alfreds on the road with no problem. We tried one night to walk the beach to Bourbon Beach and didn't try it again. It's not that we felt completely unsafe, just felt much more safe walking the road. You definitely do not have to "hire" a cab driver keep you safe. One day we spent the day walking the beach (day time) and went bar hopping. That was a lot of fun and we felt safe the entire time. That night we ate at Kuyaba which was awesome!

NBCC has no night life so you will be going to other bars at night.

9. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2011, 11:58
10. Re: do i need to hire a taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2012, 10:16