We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indy
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Topic
BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

Wife and I went to the Grand Lido Negril in 2007 before it was changed to Breezes. I read there were changes....wanted to find out if it is still the same, we are looking to go again this year. I have not been keeping up on here the last 5 years, are there other suggestions for a couple in their 50's just for R&R, good food and drink, not big on all the activities... just sun, beach and wanting good food.... and relaxation.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

We are at BGN right now, and last night we had dinner with a couple who were here many times when it was GL, and are thoroughly unhappy with the deterioration in facilities and employee attitudes since the change. We have always gone to Sandals and are not happy with our experience/experiment. We like having the CO area, but that doesn't make up for everything else.

We won't be back.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
307 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

Check out the Couples or Breezed thread.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

You do get what you pay for. How much is sandals compared to breezes? I am sure a significant amount!

Wonder why you downgraded? Breezes is a 3*

Edited: 06 January 2012, 13:45
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

I would take a look at Couples Negril. The service is outstanding and you know that Bloody Bay is wonderful from having been there.

There is plenty of chairs and floaties available. And one of the really nice things about CN is that there is a lot of shade as well so when you have had enough sun, don't want to leave the beach you can just move under one of the trees.

We think that the food is wonderful, but food is subjective. However, I do like that they change the menus on a regular basis so even after a few days you are not tired of the food selection.

So. California
Level Contributor
815 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

At first I wasn't going to respond to this thread since my first trip to BGN was right after the rebranding and the OP was asking how BGN compared to GLN but since it seems that other people are posting when they have not been there when it was a Grand Lido it shouldn't stop me. I mean Blondie wasn't been there at all but It won't stop her from pushing Couples resorts.

As stated our first trip to BGN was in Nov 2009 right after the re-branding and we quickly fell in love with the place and we returned as soon as we could in Jult 2010, I have to say that the sevice suffered a bit from our first trip but we did get a super low price and we still had a great time, Our last trip was May 2011 and it was better than our first trip, service was top notch, food was good and of course the C/O beach is the best. We are booked to go back May 2012. On all 3 trips we had no negative interactions with the staff, everyone seemed to be wanting you to have a good time, if you check with the latest reviews you can see that BGN is not for everybody but which resort is?

From what the OP stated what they are looking for I believe the BGN would be a good fit.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 14:33
Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

Hi Rick....we are going to Breezes for the first time next month and have been reading the reviews...I am so confused I really don't know what to expect, they range from excellent to poor,lol. Should I email the resort before I go and can you recommend a room or villa. We are old and fat and prefer the clothing on side ,we like top floor as we feel safer at nite.

Thanks and have a great day

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

I am so confused too. To each their own but we have been to the 5* A** kissing resort at double the price in a regular room. At BGN we had the luxury jacuzzi suite and we were there for R&R and we literally can't stop talking about our fabulous 2 week stay. I think it depends on your priorities and resort needs.

So. California
Level Contributor
815 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

Hi macdl.....I am so jealous that you are going to BGN next month, I have 4 months until I go back. I know that the reviews are all over the place, it has always been like that since I started reading Trip Advisor 3 years ago. Some of the bad comments seem to come from people thinking that they are going to a Grand Lido even though they paid a Breezes price; their expectations just seem to be a bit too high. The only thing I can suggest is to just relax and go with the flow.

As too your room, I don't know what level room you have booked but if it is Beachfront you don't have to worry about the C/O beach, If it is a Cove room it will be on the C/O beach, if it is Ocean view, or a one bedroom suite just let them know that you don't want a room that overlooks the C/O beach as some of these room do overlook the C/O beach. For room request I suggest you contact clithy.chadden@superclubs.com about 2 weeks before your arrival with your prefences along with you arrival time, usually 2 hrs from you planes estimated time of arrival.

BTW the C/O side really isn't that shocking after about 5 mins it will seem normal.

tweetybird.... I am so happy that you had such a good time with your visit; I know that you put in a lot of effort before your trip and it seems to have paid off. I feel that some of the bad reviews are from people that did little if any research and were expecting more than what BGN has to offer. I really like the info you posted on the One Love Bus Bar Crawl, I am already planning on going on our next trip.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 19:36
So. California
Level Contributor
815 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

macdl... I am not sure if I gave you the right e-mail you might need to try Clithy.Chaddan@Superclubs.com

Sorry

Rick

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BGN ..is it still nice as when GLN?

<who were here many times when it was GL, and are thoroughly unhappy with the deterioration in facilities and employee attitudes since the change.>

GLN was a favorite of mine and I stayed there 6 times over a period of years. It was an elegant, service oriented, upscale resort with high end touches and ambiance.

In March of 2010 we went to BGN for the first time since the rebranding. I agree with the above statement. It was not what it used to be. That being said, neither is the price point.

We are not likely to return as we prefer Couples in every aspect of the overall experience, from food to rooms to spa to activities. For others, and for the right price, it can be a very good value but I would not expect anything to be like it was when it was GLN.

It is all about expectations.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 19:55