We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril vs Falmouth

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Negril vs Falmouth

Hi Everyone,

I am planning my first trip to Jamaica in the next month or so and there is a great price online for the Beachcomber club (All Inclusive) and most of the reviews on TA suggest it is a nice quiet resort. Another resort with a great price is Breezes Trelawny in Falmouth...the Breezes seems to be something I am more accustomed to (Mexico AI) and I would love some suggestions and information on the Beachcomber as the Negril sunsets and atmosphere are drawing me in.

What can I expect from this resort when it comes to AI dining, drinks, entertainment, etc? Is the resort safe (leave my windows open at night, theft, should I bring my kids, etc). Is the beach unsafe to walk down at night - I stayed in Playacar last year and walked up and down the beach at all hours of the night with no hesitation.

Would it be wiser to avoid the AI option? I am not one who really wants to make my own drinks on vacation mostly because I like the conveniene of getting something from the bar quickly...what can I expect to pay (CDN or US) per drink and per meal if not AI at some of the local establishments? What should I expect to pay at Beachcomber?

All suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

My sister and I stayed @ Breezes in falmouth a few years back- the rooms are like a Super 8 motel, we could never really just "float" in the water becuase the water was always choppy. The pool was nice. I would say hands down go to Negril, the beach is much nicer and the water is calm and you can take nice walks on the beach..why don't you check out Breezes Grand Negril?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

The Beachcomber is a decent 3 star resort and is quite secure. Just use common sense with your valuables. I recommend that you go non-AI there. Although the restaurant and bar are ok there are better options within walking distance for food. Cost of food and drinks are what you would expect to pay for similar fare at home. Keep an eye out for specials as you walk the beach. I do not recommend walking the beach late at night. There is much more happening along Negril's beach than you will find in Trelawny including some good nightlife. Also if you are looking for a calm sea Negril is much better than Trelawny.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

We started to plan a trip to Breezes Trelawny, then I looked at the pics of the resort and read the reviews and decided to stay with Negril. We love Negril for the great beach and calm water.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

I guess it all depends on the time of year that you go to the north shore. Winter months bring strong winds and rough water.

Breezes T has a lot of bad reviews.

Opt for Negril.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

One thing no oe has mentioned. In Negril there is plenty to do outside of the resort. At Breezes Falmouth you are fairly isolated and need to take a cab anywhere. For some reason when I was in the Falmouth area (old FDR Pebbles) the water was much calmer in the morning. I have walked that beach for miles with no problem.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

Hello Mooneyes,

We are also from Calgary and going on our 6th Negril trip in a few weeks. It really is a great place...very relaxing, calm, & warm sea and amazing sunsets...add to this great food, people and music. We spent a little time in Montego Bay at an AI and did not enjoy it.

You will actually find many restaurants in Negril are much less than at home. We have had many meals for around $25 for 2 people and breakfasts and lunch (food only) can be as low as $5 per person. Beers are usally $2-$4 and fancier cocktails can be $4-$7 depending where you are at. There are lots of happy hours where you can get 2 for 1. It is always nice to have a fridge and you can stock up at a grocery store where beer and rum is rather inexpensive compared to prices at home.

Many restaurants will give you a bill in Jamaican dollars and US and even if not, you can pay in either. It is almost always better to pay in Jamaican dollars.

We always take Canadian currency traveller's cheques and cash at the Cambios for Jamaican dollars. There are also 2 Scotiabank ATM's that you can take Jamaican or US currency, just check with your bank for fees some accounts will include the fees, other you will have to pay $5-$10 per transaction.

Beachcomber has a nice beachfront and we have dined at their restaurant and it was pretty good, but better places/better value can be found for food.

Most hotels have very good security and provide safety deposit boxes.

For walking the beach at night, safety really depends where you are, how many in your group etc. We will walk a few properties from our hotel at night to go for dinner with no issues, but I would not walk the beach extensively at night, rather go to the main road and walk or hop in a route taxi. Just avoid flashy jewellery and also suggest not carrying a purse at night...I have with no issue but now always just take what I need in a pocket.

Are you booking flights separate or as a package with hotel?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited: 19 January 2012, 18:31
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

I have stayed at The Beachcomber twice, but the last time we stayed there was May of 2004. When we were in Negril in July of last year, we walked past Beachcomber. There was no one there. It really looked like it was closed. I'm not sure if anyone knows the story of this hotel, because the two previous times we stayed there, we really enjoyed it. Maybe they have new ownership and are making a comeback?

I hope so, because the room set-up for suites was really cool. You have a huge living room kitchen combo complete with dining room size table and chairs. Then off to either side are bedrooms. If you get a one-bedroom suite, you have access to one bedroom. You can also opt for a two-bedroom suite. The verandahs were huge with really pretty big french doors, although most of them were not ocean-facing.

Beachcomber is on a long narrow piece of property, so the hotel is much deeper than it is wide. Some of the things we enjoyed about the hotel were the staff - very friendly and helpful. Also, the beach area was very nice. Keep in mind that it is just one or two doors down from Margaritaville, so there is a lot of foot traffic on that part of the beach, but we found it to be very enjoyable.

We also thought the food was decent at the restaurant, but again that was eight years ago. I have wondered what happened and how they are doing now? I would love to see them up and hopping again. Maybe they are now, because I have read the positive reviews too.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

Breezes Trelawny is the BOTTOM of the Barrel! Overall we have been to 6 Breezes vacations and while none have been over the top in the success area BT was by far the worst.

It was so bad that within 2 hours of being on the property we were REFUNDED TO our Credit Card the entire amount of our 2 week vacation.

On another Breezes vacation I contracted Giardia, an intestinal parasite. This parasite is usually transmitted from improperly handled food - lack of hand washing after using the rest room. We were with a wedding party of 30. About 1/2 of us ate at the buffet one evening soon after arriving and all of us became seriously ill within 24 hours. I was the worst case and remained off work for close to 6 months ofter returning home. The CDC even became involved.

The most irritating issue with Breezes across the board is that the "activities" they advertise are seldom available. They will shut down the water sports at the slightest hint of wind, things like the rock climbing wall might be open an hour every other day if you are lucky, 2/3rds of the games in the arcades are broken. The sad truth of Breezes is that they are declining...... rapidly.....IMO.

If you can get a REALLY EXCELLENT price and I am talking $700.00 or less PP....then MAYBE I would go back. Other then that I value my time (health) much more.

Look into Grand Pineapple in Negril as well.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
510 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

Check out www.negrilonestop.com for a map and listings of many of the choices available for places to stay in Negril! There are a LOT of options!

Edited: 19 January 2012, 23:47
anadarko, ok
Level Contributor
888 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril vs Falmouth

@Frodo: can you tell me your symptoms of giardia? Private message or here. My husband and I have had symptoms since 2 days after we arrived at SN last week. Been home 24 hours and it's not better.