We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Elk Grove Village...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

My wife and I are planning a trip and we are looking at Couples Swept Away in Negril. From what I know, just like any place you have to stay out of some place in Jamaica but the tourist spots are safe and beautiful. Am I right in saying that it is safe to travel to Jamaica right now? We don't like to go out too much but we usually take one night during the vacation to go to clubs and party. Is Jamaica a safe place?

Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

While others have taken exception to my taxi advice, I personally know of 2 occasions where tourists bargained a deal with an unlicensed taxi and were pretty much extorted for safe passage back to their hotel after a "sightseeing" trip. It's not commonplace, but enough to be cautious.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

"2 occasions where tourists bargained a deal with an unlicensed taxi and were pretty much extorted for safe passage back to their hotel after a "sightseeing" trip."

UNLICENSED being the key word here. No red plate - no ride!

Jane, your trip with Winston sounds amazing! I hope others will seek out the drivers recommended on this and other forums for an experience like yours.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Right on again rasta. Red Plate and licensed for paying customers. If you want drivers used by and recommended by TA regulars make sure to look at The List in the upper right corner of this page, under Top Questions.

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
34. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

I and 5 other ladies enjoyed our stay in Negril ! It is safe stick together and find a friend i met Carlos who did evrery thing for us ,we went to the Blue Hole and a private beach and he cooked for us There. We went to an off the road spot and had the best fried fish and lobster dish as the man was cooking we walked out back and enjoyed the ocean. We met his wife and family no hustling us and he drove safe. Call Carlos tell him Shawn from Indiana sent you he has a Van and you will be blessed 1-876-399-0515 ! We enjoyed paying him he asked what ever you want to pay.

ontario
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Jamaica is certainly safe! been to the resort you are going to, its amazing. We walked down the beach one night for a dinner out never a problem people are extremely nice. If you are looking for trouble it will find you just like anywhere

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Its as safe as any other place you would visit and use good judgement and reasonableness. I read a proverb once.....time and unforseen circumstance befall us all..... some things happen you have no control over, other things happen because you made a stupid mistake or choice, we have been going to JA since the early 90's and have considered JA a safe destination and even with all the drugs, a polite no is enough, is JA safe compared to what? Just make good sound decisions and you will be fine.

Princeton...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Was in Duncans bay in Feb. for 3 weeks.We stay in a private villa and we never had any problems. This was my 6th year there and we felt right at home.

Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

SAFE I walked from Seastarr to the beach several times last week even in the dark with no problems.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

"even in the dark"

I'm glad you were safe Angie but that was not the smartest move.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

I have just retuned from Seastar Negril..we went out most nights and had a hire car and drove all around the island...you will be safe if you are sensible just like anywhere else in the world..Enjoy the beautiful island and friendly people.