We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midland ontario
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

the wife and i r goin jan 30- feb 14th- 1st time in negril- read alot about the vendors so would like to read some stories about experiences

we r at the fun holiday beach resort

midland ontario
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

although i have never been to jamaica i had a lady vendor in mexico tell me to go (4 letter word starts with f) myself and take that ( 5 letter word starts with b) with me- all because i said "no thank you" to yet another time share booth tryin to get me to come to a meeting.

my wife grabbed my arm and told me to let it go- i always use respect but hate being treated like (4 letter word starts with s)

just saying

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

My last reach I had a guy hit my wife up for some big bamboo after I told him to beat it with his bootlegged CD's. Lol

The vast majority are pleasant folks just trying to make a living. Way too many good ones to list.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

The worst time was in Tulum Mexico. We were visiting one of the ruins when we I fell down the rough hewn steps leaving. I twisted my ankle and knee really bad, landed on my tail bone then fell back and smacked my head on the step.

Lots of tourist and my friends of course helped me up and got me to a bench. My friend went to just about EVERY vendor around to try and get me some ice. Not one would give her a scoop of ice even though she had her own plastic baggie. She finally had to pay to get a few pieces of ice. I really felt like a walking ATM the last trip to MX. Never again!

Our best encounter was in Negril on Bloody Bay in front of CN. There used to be a gentleman who walked the beach everyday with his megaphone. He passed away last year though. We knew him as Carlton though IDK if that was his real name.

He advertised Bourbon Beach Club all the time. Carlton was a really good comedian in his own right. We would spend time with him everyday with him giving us a preview of his routines. One day he gave DH the microphone....NEVER give my hubby a microphone. We had him in stitches and plenty of new material for his routines. Our group will miss him when we return to Negril this summer ;-(

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

Agreed, too many good experiences to list and luckily we haven't had any too bad. One guy was my hubby a hard luck story and asking for money. We had no cash on us so it wasn't a long conversation after that! Oh, and the peanut man yelling at us for not having money after he took a pic with our kids - but we told him up front we didn't have any money on us. I guess he didn't think we were serious. :) We laughed it off - along with lots of tourists in loungers who saw the exchange. Most vendors are great people and say hello when you walk by each morning.

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

All good with the beach vendors , except the mushroom guy he was a bit pushy , having said that the vendors are a big part of the Negril experience and wouldn't be the same without them.......

Waterford, NY
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

Friend of ours at one of the big AIs in Negril several years ago - not relevant which - walked off the property along the beach and was robbed at gunpoint of minimal cash. Called the cops who suggested they stay in their resort (they had gone off to get girlfriend's hair braided at one of those little stands).

The next day, he saw the same guy hanging near the property line. Guy waved and greeted him with no menace at all, like this was just business and he'd paid his share. Apparently couldn't get the desk interested in calling the cops again (I do NOT know the details on that part of it).

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

My best experience with a vendor was the fellow (quite stoned) who told my very pretty redhead wife. "Oh Beautiful, you must eat a lot of Lobster". My

wife said "I guess that s a compliment".

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

When we went to Cancun we had lots of people trying to get cash from us. Even tried using their children to con us. My boyfriend was so irritated that we have never gone back for that reason. Haven't been to Jamaica yet, but this is a concern of mine already.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

Once while walking the streets in Mo bay, I had a vendor threaten my life (verbally) when I turned down his offer. I can't remember the exact exchange of words but I got the feeling he was frustrated that no one was buying that day and I think he was just using me as a target to vent his frustrations. After following me for a few minutes, ranting all the while, he eventually turned and walked away.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 21:36
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what was your best or worst experience with a vendor

I gave in and let a vendor braid my hair (I'm a guy with long hair). We settled on one braid for $5US. I didn't want it all done, just one braid. Well they did that one and then kept going. I thought cool, they are going to hook me up. After about five braids, they wanted me to pay $5 for each one. I told them that's not what we agreed on. They said, well it's already done, pay us. I said no threw them five dollars and proceeded to walk out of the market place. Well they started shouting a few choice words at us and I was followed by more and more people from the craft market. I finally got out of there and we made out way back the the ship.

This was on my first visit to Jamaica. I went by cruise ship. It was in Ocho Rios.