We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick's Cafe Warning

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Rick's Cafe Warning

Just wanted to post the experience I had a Rick's Cafe at the end of January this year. I've been before and know it's a tourist trap but we go to watch some diving, have a couple drinks, watch the sunset and then go somewhere else for supper. In the past, we have tipped the divers as requested. This year was completely different. The divers approached us as soon as we arrived but this year they asked for a specific amount rather than whatever you want. No problem, we enjoy the show and put the money in the bucket. Then there were other divers on the far side of the little bay that wanted tips. I always like to jump of the cliffs but this year, there was a guy standing at the railing where you jump and he wanted a tip. Getting a little much but still not a big problem.

Then it got really strange. I jumped from the cliff and started to swim towards the ladder. There was a guy standing at the ladder and told me that I had to swim the other way behind the rocks, so I did along with another jumper. There were some people sitting on rocks outside a cave and told us we had to follow them. I assumed it was another way out. Well the cave got narrower and kept filling up with water from the waves coming in. They said it was OK just follow them. There were parts of the cave that were narrower than your shoulders so you had to shimmy sideways while clinging to rocks. You had to cling on the sides of the caves due to the water and sometimes the water rushing in would lift you off your footing and you had to find it again as the water dropped. Eventually it got so dark they had to guide your feet and hands to the proper rock supports. We eventually came to the end of the cave and it dropped down 10 feet into a open area that had a sand beach floor. We were then informed that we were expected to provide a $50 tip for the tour and we should pay the guy that takes us to the ladder, not the other guys with buckets on the cliffs. In order to get out of the cave, we had to swim out a tunnel under the water. One guy went out first and yelled instructions back to the second guy still with us. As the waves came in, the little room would partially fill up with water and then drain out through this little tunnel. They guy outside yelled GO and the guy inside told me to swim so I dove into this little tunnel and the rush of water flushed me out of the cave like being flushed out a toilet. An exciting experience but extremely dangerous. I don't know how I didn't scrape myself on the rough rock walls. I personally enjoyed the experience and gave the guy a very small tip, mostly because I was just glad it was over. My wife wasn't very happy because she didn't see me for 15 or 20 minutes after I jumped. She asked around but all Rick's employee's said not to worry so I'm sure they new about the cave tour.

Now for the warning part. I like to do adventurous things but I had no idea what was going on. I've explored caves and old mines before but the addition of water rising and falling inside made it very different. I'm 54 years old was physically exhausted when I got out of the cave. The experience could have been much different if I had hit my head or something going through the tunnel or fell while trying to slid through the cave. For someone with claustrophobia or other issues, the experience could be very traumatic. If you got hurt in there, I have no idea how they would have got you out. So be prepared if you decide to jump off the cliffs. When they tell you not to swim to the ladder, ignore them unless you want to take the cave tour and are mentally and physically prepared for the ordeal.

I really didn't appreciate the way the whole situation was handled and I can see someone getting into trouble in that cave. Asking for a tip before they show you the exit was pretty shady.

Akron,Ohio
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

You gotta be kidding me.Not that I'd be jumping from the cliffs, but you might just have saved someone from a ruined vacation with that post. Way too shakey. Thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

I havent been to Rick's but i am frankly surprised that they would allow it to go on. To my thinking, this could seriously impact THEIR business - which i am sure they are not interested in. My guess is that as the big dog's in this little pool, they have the right 'connections'' to make it go away. anyone listening?

Like BarDar says - EXCELLENT POST!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

WOW....thank you for this posting. This is very very dangerous and certainty a bad situation just waiting to happen.

Ricks, of course, has no liability in this situation just like it has no liability in the cliff jumping.

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

That is horrible. Thanks for the warning!!!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,642 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

Sounds just like the people who want to show you the different craft markets and then want a tip for walking down the street with you.

Just curious though, were other people using the same ladder before you jumped? If so, why didn't you just climb out? Who cares what the guy was saying? Get out, tell him you couldn't hear him and move on? I wasn't there, I don't know, so I'm just asking.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

Agreed - thanks for the warning. Hopefully word spreads quickly and their little "tour" is shut down. That's incredibly dangerous!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

DBWSask,

I was not aware that a cave even existed down there. I recall seeing them to either side of Rick's but not in their cove.

Anyway, did you bother to say anything to management at Rick's? If so what was their response. If you did not then why not?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

Anod1 - I was the second person to jump that afternoon and the first person (a young girl) was also directed away from the ladder. I spoke to her afterwards and she was also surprised by the experience but was slightly drunk.

Blues_pirate. - I didn't say anything at the time to management. Not sure if management was even around. We just got home on the weekend. Thought I'd put this warning out first and then work on an email to Rick's. If and when I get a response, I'll update the thread.

If these guys had asked me if I wanted to see the cave and told me what it entailed, there is a good chance I would have gone in anyways. I'm just looking at it from the point of view of someone who might have responded differently or gotten hurt.

South Central PA
Level Contributor
131 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

Wow that is terrible! Be there is several weeks and will avoid the whole thing! Thanks for the heads up.

Medicine hat...
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rick's Cafe Warning

I was there a couple of weeks ago and was wondering where everyone was going when they were swimming the other way! Wow, that sounds like it has the potential to get bad and ugly and someone could get hurt or even die! Those guys were super aggressive with the tip thing, glad I went once to experience it, but would not go back to Rick's again ever. Food was so expensive, got three mini skewers of chicken for $10 and 5 shrimp for $10.