We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

United States
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

Heading to the Rio in Negril in May and wondering if we will be tipping while are there. We booked all inclusive so we wouldn't have to worry about all the extras but wondering if we will find extras to have to pay 4 when we get there, especially if we have to tip.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

OMG! Why did you post this so many times?

The answer is you never HAVE to tip. You tip for good service received. Tipping IS allowed and expected at the RIU even if they claim it is "included".

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

Agreed, one post is enough. And yes you will tip and should tip.

United States
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

I'm not sure what happened with the multiple posts. Was having issues with my phpne at the time and couldn' t figure out how to delete the extras. Sorry! Thanks for the info. My husband is not a big tipper and he wanted AI so he didn' t have to worry about

all it.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

no problem........

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

The staff @ the Palace are not paid fair wages by any stretch of the imagination. When we visit these Countries we remember what we have and take for advantage of here in the States and we tip everyone all week to try and compensate for their poor wages. Between housekeeping the people who stock our fridge the bartenders and waiters we tip a couple of hundred dollars.

Owensboro
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

We are going late April. I also, would like to know about tipping, especially the housekeeping staff. I like to leave little gifts, does anyone know if they would appreciate school supplies for kids or personal items? Thanks!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

No problem....hehehehe...We just thought you were really excited about going ;-)

As stated you do not have to tip and you usually will not receive any less service if you do not.

If you were staying at a place like Couples then I would say that the staff would actually SEE the "all included" portion that was meant to go to them for the tips. However THE RIU, which is a Spanish owned conglomerate that has had nothing but issues since they have broken ground in Jamacia. They have broken every environmental and labor law that is known in Jamaica.

The general practice is to hire on "trainees" for up to a year or more who are simply paid a stipend for the pleasure of working there. Tips are the only way these employees can feed and house themselves. Regular employees do not fare much better. They are working 10 hours a day 6 days a week MINIMUM!

Minimum wage in Jamaica is $1.60 per hour, after taxes etc their take home pay is probably around $50-$60.00 a week. Electricity & food costs are about the same as in the USA. The cost of medicines and health care is simply prohibitive to a lot of Jamaicans as it is to a lot in the USA. However unlike the USA there is no governmental backup plan such as medicaid.

Not trying to harp on anyone or lay a guilt trip to get you to tip. If you can afford a couple of extra dollars in tips to those that DO make your trip extra special, even if you are at an AI, please do so! It will make all the difference in the world ;-)

Bright Blessings for a wonderful time in Jamaica!

If you are going to leave something in addition to cash for tips, school supplies, over the counter medicines, any BABY items such as pedilyte, childrens Tylenol, soccer balls(deflated), children's books etc.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 00:25
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

I don't advise to take merchandise to employees at the RIU's all employees have there bags and persons searched when exiting a shift, they can and MANY do get fired for having something more on the exit than on coming in like balls, kids shoes, baby clothes. I know some get away with it but as a whole there is a HUGE policy in place at both RIU's and we all know that no Jamaican can afford to lose their job at expense of our goodwill.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

@Jamaicamylove.....they are getting terminated for having items given as gifts even if NOTES are attached?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping at the Riu Tropical Bay

"@Jamaicamylove.....they are getting terminated for having items given as gifts even if NOTES are attached?"

Yes! Give cash rather than items even if it is only $1. Many resorts it is fine to do what you are talking of I only know for sure that this is a big deal at the RIU properties. Or meet them outside the gates after shift but than you face being seen by all employees giving things away and than opening a whole other can of worms.