We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MD
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

I am trying to decided on a vacation for Myself my husband, my 15 year old daughter and her best friend. In reading the Negril Forums I noticed alot of comments about the Riu Palace having a better Beach than Riu Club??? Can someone please explain what makes the Beach at the Palace better? Are the beaches Privated/separated? Can you get in the beach at the Palace if you stay at the Club? Is the club walking distance from the Palace and is it more beneficial to stay at the Palace to get the best of both worlds?

Edited: 08 March 2012, 16:09
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

the beach at the palace is in the middle of bloody bay and is wider and has better sand. The beach at the club is at the end of bloody bay and it consists of less sand and more of a mix of dirt/sand and some level of sea grass exists on parts of the beach.... location location location...

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

Pretty hard to call RIU frontage "Beach", by Negril standards. It consists of a layer of imported sand over a base of hard rock/dirt. When you enter the water, you get a sinking feeling due to a mush bottom.

By the way, If you stay at RIU Club, you cannot eat or drink at RIU Tropical Bay. If you stay at Tropical Bay you can have full use ot Club.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 17:50
MD
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

I guess Palace it is!!! THANKS

Spfld Missouri
Level Contributor
157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

While the quality and quantity of sand is nicer at the Palace, I think the club beach is nice in that there are some trees mixed in and there is a little more area to explore. The two resorts are 1/2 apart and you can walk.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

I hope you are right redstripe....we are beach people and booked here rather than Montego Bay based on beach comments....then I start reading about a lackluster beach here...

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

Do not worry laryco... I just posted on another thread that don't see a huge difference in the two beaches. I mean, I guess I see.a bit about the sand being different and the width of the beach but when I'm in negril those details seem to fly right by me. I'm just so stoked to be ANYwhere in negril that I don't care! Lol...and if it comes down to comparing mo bay vs negril.....negril wins hands down.

There are good points to both properties. Some people do like the trees and a more secluded feel that the beach at the riu negril offers. Others like the wider beach and maybe what some consider better sand at the palace.. But you will enjoy either place.

And to really experience negril and it's beaches....get off the resort and explore the town. Visit long beach and walk along that beach too. You will experience a much more true Jamaica if you visit some of the local places too....rather than just staying on the riu property the whole time. :)

Edited: 08 March 2012, 22:16
Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

Thanks Iboat....we do plan to go off property...I am a grabber and love talking and meeting diverse people....but also enjoy sitting on the beach with a cold Redstripe and watching the world go by....

MD
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

This is a great post! I have been to Mo Bay but not Negril. The beach in Mo Bay was beautiful to me. I stay at a small resort (Royal Decameron) on Gloucester BNA the Hip Strip. It was a good experience so now I want to experience Negril my 15 year old daughter is going so an adults only resort is not ab option. If so can you give me some insight on the resorts? Is there a difference in the quality as far as room food and atmosphere.

9. Re: What makes the beach better at Riu Palace over Riu Club?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:16