We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would we have fun?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Would we have fun?

My husband and I do not know how to swim, but would like to visit Negril this summer at one of the all inclusive resorts. I've been doing some research and it seems that 95% of the activities involve swimming and water. We expected this of course, but we are wondering if traveling to Jamaica would be fun for a couple that cannot swim. I don't mind just lounging and enjoying the beach, but, my husband likes to do things... and I'm afraid that a trip to Jamaica would be boring to him.

What do you guys think? Are there many activities for non-swimmers?

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Would we have fun?

Plenty of activities for non swimmers. The calm waters of Negril are great for just wading. My wife is somewhat afraid of the ocean, and she still has a good time in Jamaica. I swim a little bit, but am a fairly poor swimmer. We still find plenty to do. I wouldn't let that bother you.

Tiverton, Rhode...
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would we have fun?

Eating, drinking tropical drinks, kayaking, snorkeling, people watching, wading in the beautiful Caribbean, sailing and horseback riding are all things you can do without swimming skills.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would we have fun?

Couples Swept Away is my all-time favorite AI due to the activities schedule. Even though I'm addicted to there water sports program, there's loads to do for non-swimmers. Tequila tastings, board game tournaments, spa treatments, Margarita Mixology, squash, yoga, basket weaving, salsa...have a look at their sample schedule. As long as you enjoy being together in a beautiful setting, you'll enjoy Negril and any of its AI's IMHO.

couples.com/swept-away/activities-schedule.p…

Edited: 23 May 2012, 01:27
ny
Level Contributor
284 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would we have fun?

Why don't you take swimming lessons together before you arrive? That could be fun, and make the vacation even better.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would we have fun?

If you go to a non AIl Inclusive then you can check out all the wonderful restaurants and bars in Negril!

Read a book, listen to some live music, go to Seastar Inn's Saturday night entertainment and buffet, visit a local school and make a donation,

Meet the people:

visitjamaica.com/about-jamaica/meet-people.a…

go on a rum factory tour, go golfing, horseback riding, ziplining, if you are church go-ers, take in a service, visit the west end (cliffs area).

I am not a swimmer but love Negril! The water is so calm and shallow, easy to wade around as a non-swimmer.

atlanta
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Would we have fun?

thanks for the replies! I guess there is some hope for the aquatically challenged..lol. we did consider getting lessons, but we would like to travel in July, not sure if we'd have enough time to learn by then.

Couples Swept away does look like they have some cool activities!

If we went to Couples swept away, would it be feasible for us to leave the resort on our own to maybe get some 'real' Jamaican food and entertainment?

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would we have fun?

It would although Couples Swept Away prides itself on offering authentic Jamaican cuisine as part of the menu from breakfast through the little cafe near the swim-up bar that serves food until 4 or 5am. I've had excellent jerk everything, callaloo from the breakfast buffet, and ackee and saltfish for lunch. From the one end of the resort (also near the swim-up bar and the Patois Patois Restaurant) you can walk down the beach for small locally owned Jamaican restaurants.

You can also walk to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, or take a taxi to Rick Cafe to watch the sunset. If you play tennis, they offer that as well at all skill levels.

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/menus.php

margaritavillecaribbean.com/welcome_negril.h…

Edited: 23 May 2012, 02:30
Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would we have fun?

Plenty to do so not to worry but a in my opinion a few lessons wouldn't hurt. I think everyone should know how to swim. You may not be a pro but atleast you'll be more comfortable in water knowing more than you know now. It's really not difficult at all and a good skill to have. On the other hand, I have a friend of mine who at 30, still doesn't know how to swim and she goes snorkeling (with a life vest) all the time.

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
848 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would we have fun?

I second Blue G's post you can snorkel with a life vest and have a great time. The snorkel boats provide them. Some other activities not mentioned: Parasailing, a trip to YS Falls, Black River, Pelican Bar, Sunset Cruise, Appleton Rum Factory, If your up for a FULL day you could take a trip to 9 Mile (Bob Marley's Birth/resting place).

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would we have fun?

<If we went to Couples swept away, would it be feasible for us to leave the resort on our own to maybe get some 'real' Jamaican food and entertainment>

Yes. We enjoy CSA and always head off property for some local food and nightlife. We like the cliffs for a change of pace. CSA does offer local dishes but not always what I am looking for. And it is a nice change to go off property.