We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquor brought into Jamaica

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Liquor brought into Jamaica

I'm getting conflicting answers to this question - can we or can we not bring 2 liters of alcohol into Jamaica? And do they have to be in unopened bottles or can we use a rum runner kit? Not trying to get jailed by customs. Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
313 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

What do you want to bring it in for? It's quite cheap there.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

Tequila was not cheap the last time I went and champagne is non-existent (for mimosas). I like Rum but my stomach prefers vodka and i'm trying to minimize the hangovers this go around. I know rum is cheap but wasn't sure about other alcohols... also wasn't sure what the aiport prices look like.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
313 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

They were selling duty free on USAir on our trip down last week, so it must be OK to take it in. Dunno the quantity though.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

Yes, you can take alcohol, and I'm fairly sure it's the same amount that you can take back. We took a special bottle of wine on our last trip to celebrate our friends' 25th anniversary.

It must be in your checked bags, of course. Or duty free.

Egg Harbor Twp., NJ
Level Contributor
583 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

Gwendolyn We always stop at the duty free shop in Florida to bring

vodka with us, We make alot of our drinks while there, and it is much cheaper than buying it in Jamaica. I have taken two bags and since it was in florida where we purchased it, carried it on and never had any questions.

Monroe NY
Level Contributor
285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

We brought our own wine the last time wrapped in bubble wrap in our luggage. It was probably more than the 2Liters allowed. We had 2 btls in each bag. It was not a problem. We are wine drinkers and the wine we bought from Hi Lo on a previous trip was very expensive and not good. I would definitely buy it at the departing airport but our flight leaves before any shops are open.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

The duty free limit for incoming booze/wine to Jamaica is one liter.

This means, in principle, that booze/wine over that one liter can be exposed to a duty fee.

Having said that, the customs agents (or are they officers?) have wide latitude in what items for which they can assign a duty. Generally, if it appears that the booze/wine your are carrying is for personal use (i.e., not in quantities that seem they would be for sale), then they can decide that no duty is assigned for that stuff beyond the duty free limit.

There is no customs jail unless you decide to sneak in (or out) with drugs, for example.

For booze/wine, nothing is confiscated, just (in principle) exposed to duty.

This is what the Jamaican Embassy lists as Jamaican Customs Regulations: embassyofjamaica.org/VIScustomsregulation.htm

Edited: 21 June 2012, 02:53
Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

We always bring in 2 1.15 litres of good vodka with no problems.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

vodka and champagne.. the rest is there.. forget tequila.. ur in ja.. JB is the only way ..

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquor brought into Jamaica

Gwen... I have taken 2 large bottles of Grey Goose Vodka into JA with me. I got them at the Charlotte airport for a GREAT DEAL in a duty free shop (2 large bottles and an insulated carry case) for just over $40.US ... if you buy a bottle of Grey Goose in the grocery in JA you will pay approx. $40.US for just one.

I had no issues with customs... although, I don't think I mentioned it on my customs forms either ;)

Jamaica makes a vodka called Ostrov and it is inexpensive... however, if you want good top shelf vodka you will pay a premium price for it in JA.